Spyderco Wegner v. Al Mar SERE 2000

In a very recent thread, I asked whether anybody knew about a Spydie folding knife which can be used in "abusive" conditions. I commented (or intended to) that, although the Military is a great survival folder, it might not be able to handle heavier tasks such as chopping or "light" prying due to its fine tip and its "clip-point" blade shape, which seems to be mainly suited for fine-cutting tasks. Here is the thread, for reference:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum52/HTML/001368.html

Some people suggested that the Spyderco Wegner is up to these tasks. I have never handled a Wegner model, yet have always been curious to do so. Still, I would like to get input from all who care to contribute. Is this knife comparable to the AL MAR SERE 2000, with its allegedly very solid lockup, tough VG-10 Spearpoint blade, excellent fit and finish, etc., for use in the tasks mentioned above and in the other thread?

Thank you,

-Flood

Flood, you've opened a can of worms with this thread.
biggrin.gif
I've never handled the Wenger, but seems solid. Couldn't be as solid as the SERE 2000, though.
tongue.gif

Oops! I hope I haven't caused any controversy by initiating this post. Still, I am very interested in reading your comments, since I am intrigued by so many praises for the SERE 2000 as being one of the "toughest", "no-nonsense" folders out there, and would really appreciate a Spyderco knife offering similar features.

So, keep those comments/opinions coming!

-Flood

The Wegner is a very solid blade but the hollow grind makes the edge somewhat delicate, especially out at the tip. It's a great slicer but I'm not sure I would do much prying or chopping with any of my Wegners.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

What impressed me the most about the SERE is the thickness of the linerlock. If it can't stand up to abuse, I don't any other knife that can.

I've haven't used the SERE 2000 yet, but from experience I can tell you that the Wegner can take a pounding. I've owned mine foe several years and it's been used and abused and it still locks up great.

The SERE has substantial double liners. The Wegner is lined on one side.(But is does have a very solid stainless back-spine). The SERE is probably the stronger of the two.

I've got both and wouldn't be afraid to be caught with either in that situation. I would prefer double liners on the Wegner, ( fixed this by getting a Boguszewski model), to the single liner. That thick stainless spacer is full length and really beefs the Wegner up. The blade shape is good for a variety of jobs and has never let me down. This is a great knife that I enjoy carrying on a daily basis, even if it is the Boguszewski model.

The SERE, I fell in love with instantly. This was the smoothest, tightest fitting, sharpest, beefiest, I could go on but you should have the idea by now! The only way I would "improve" it would be to go with 5/32" blade stock and up the length to just under 4". Of course this is a personal preference. I ain't gonna kick this baby outa the bed!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I hate when two of my favorite knives go head to head. The Wegner is plenty tough. Tough enough to withstand a lot of abuse. The stainless back on it makes for a very solid lock up. The SERE 2000 is undoubtedly one tough knife, probably a little tougher than the Wegner, but I carry the Wegner a lot more often. The Wegner is more comfortable and I find the blade shape more useful than the spearpoint on the SERE. The Wegners can also be had for about $85, which means they offer more bang for the buck than the SERE. The SERE is one of my favorite knives, but I couldn't live without the Wegner. Get one in plainedge and if you dont like it I will buy it from you.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

That's very generous of you Dennis! I think I will take you up on that often in the not too distant future
biggrin.gif
. Still, not to worry...I KNOW it's going to be a keeper, since Spyderco's offerings never cease to impress me.

I like the positive comments about the Wegner. So far it seems like even Wegner-knife enthusiasts admit that this knife not be as "all-around tough" as the Al-Mar SERE2000. Truth be told, I'm not too crazy about the ergonomics of that knife, and am seriously considering an alternative in a Spydie knife.

Spyderco's knives always seem to "work" for me, and thus would prefer to get a heavy-duty folder from them. I already own a Military, which could handle many "survival", heavy-duty tasks, but not the ones I referred to originally due to its specialized blade. I also own a Starmate, but prefer to regard that knife as a tactical folder which will not get "abused". I guess I must complete that trio by purchasing the Wegner, and really beating the hell out of that knife, as I'm sure Tim Wegner would prefer it that way.
wink.gif

I don't know...I think it was all this recent talk about "survival" knives that made me realize I didn't have an all-purpose, heavy-duty folder in my collection. Time I started correcting that mistake!

-Flood

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flood:
...I asked whether anybody knew about a Spydie folding knife which can be used in "abusive" conditions. I commented (or intended to) that, although the Military is a great survival folder, it might not be able to handle heavier tasks such as chopping or "light" prying due to its fine tip and its "clip-point" blade shape, which seems to be mainly suited for fine-cutting tasks.</font>

Using any folder for prying or all but the most super-light of chopping tasks is asking for a broken knife. Seriously.

Military has a perfect distal taper that ends in a very fine (delicate) point. It is also an inefficient design with respect to blade/handle length, which matters little if carried in a pack, but matters in my front jeans pocket at 5'-11" when I sit. And I tend to sit from time to time.

Starmate beats Military on all counts except for maybe grip ergonomics.

Wegner is a great overall design, as useful upside down (skinning) as right side up, and solid but relatively heavy.

I own all three mentioned above, among others.

My Sere 2000 is on order, can't comment yet.

See this post for more info:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum64/HTML/001605-2.html

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 02-05-2001).]

That's very generous of you Dennis! I think I will take you up on that often in the not too distant future
biggrin.gif
. Still, not to worry...I KNOW it's going to be a keeper, since Spyderco's offerings never cease to impress me.

I like the positive comments about the Wegner. So far it seems like even Wegner-knife enthusiasts admit that this knife not be as "all-around tough" as the Al-Mar SERE2000. Truth be told, I'm not too crazy about the ergonomics of that knife, and am seriously considering an alternative in a Spydie knife.

Spyderco's knives always seem to "work" for me, and thus would prefer to get a heavy-duty folder from them. I already own a Military, which could handle many "survival", heavy-duty tasks, but not the ones I referred to originally due to its specialized blade. I also own a Starmate, but prefer to regard that knife as a tactical folder which will not get "abused". I guess I must complete that trio by purchasing the Wegner, and really beating the hell out of that knife, as I'm sure Tim Wegner would prefer it that way.
wink.gif

I don't know...I think it was all this recent talk about "survival" knives that made me realize I didn't have an all-purpose, heavy-duty folder in my collection. Time I started correcting that mistake!

-Flood

I dont have the Sere and havent handled it so I cant comment. However I did own and use heavily the Spyderco Wenger.

It was only replaced by the slimest of margins by my Sebenza. I have used the Wenger to chop. I Chopped at grape vine as well as other woody vines and shrubs. Up to 1.5 - 2 inches around. I also used to use it to chop down Japanese knockweed every morning 5 days a week for an exhibit of mine. It held fine! After my wife bought me the Sebenza I carried both for a while. After I switched to carying only the benza I gave the wenger to a very good friend and he carried and used it hard for another year and finaly lost it. This is a winner. Yes I would prefer double liners as well although I never missed it. Its a mental thing. It always locked up with a satisfying Clack !! And it held. The ergonomics were GREAT. Im hard pressed to find a more comfortable knife fixed or folder.

I imagine that its great and natural feel in the hand would make it a good defensive knife as well.

------------------
Alex

My Knife Page

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boriqua:
I imagine that its great and natural feel in the hand would make it a good defensive knife as well.

</font>

It sure does! Here is a thread about the Wegner as a defensive tool. The thread has a message from tim Wegner himself about the design.

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum52/HTML/001159.html

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

I have already come out publicly and stated that I wish thatI could get a Wegner built like a SERE2K. The Wegner has great blade shape and ergonomic design for uses that I need. It is a great bug came hunting folder. I just wish it were put together more hefty. I am a fan of Tim Wegner and think that he really knows his stiff. He is a hunter and knows what a hunter needs. His design is then turned over to Spyderco wo, IMO, squanders a brilliant design on cost conscious execution. If Tim would have paired up with AlMar and had the large Wegner built like the SERE 2K, THAT would be a knife. BTW: I have both and really like both, but the design of the Wegner is more suited for my uses and the cinstruction/execution of the SERE2K is one of those "you have to see it to believe it" deals.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nimrod:
I have already come out publicly and stated that I wish that I could get a Wegner built like a SERE2K. The Wegner has great blade shape and ergonomic design for uses that I need. It is a great big came hunting folder. I just wish it were put together more hefty, like maybe two liners and a thicker liner lock. I am a fan of Tim Wegner and think that he really knows his stuff. He is a hunter and knows what a hunter needs. His design is then turned over to Spyderco who, IMO, squanders a brilliant design on cost conscious execution. If Tim would have paired up with AlMar and had the large Wegner built like the SERE 2K, THAT would be a knife. BTW: I have both and really like both, but the design of the Wegner is more suited for my uses and the construction/execution of the SERE2K is one of those "you have to see it to believe it" deals.</font>

Nimrod,
You can get a Wegner built like the SERE, only it is a custom. I have a Boguszewski/Wegner that is SUPER. Nice thick liners, and that is plural as in TWO liners, along with some nice green micarta, and 440V steel to boot! The liners are titanium but are actually thicker than the ones on the SERE. I always felt that if I could change one thing on the Wegner it would be to give it two liners. Now that has come to pass! The blade shape is a great design that I have found useful for many things. Check with Tim at Blade-Tech as he has some of the customs occasionally.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I don't have/have never seen or held a SERE2K. But I've got, carry, and stake my life on my Spyderco Wegner. It's my every day carry, and has been used heavily (and is also the one I rely on for use as a 'defensive tool'). It's robust enough for nearly any kind of intended use. If you need something heavier to chop with, get an ax or a large fixed blade.

I've got a Military which I usually use around the house. But when I go out into unknown territory, it's the Wegner I pocket.

Just my opinion.
smile.gif

------------------
Champions make improvements as fast as losers make excuses.

Back