Spyderco - Why?

I have heard many say that the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker set (204) is almost fool proof. Why is that? Is there a mechanical fixture that holds the blade and stone at precise angles or do you have to freehand it? The Gatco type sharpener has a rod that takes most of the human factor out - which I need!

By the way - great site!

The stones are held at a fixed angle because they fit into slots in the base that are molded at a precise angle. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to hold the knife at a fixed angle relative to the stones ... as long as that angle is zero! It does take some practice and the proper technique - if you stand up over the Sharpmaker it's easier to hold the knife (almost) perfectly vertical. However, if you sit with your head roughly at the same elevation as the Sharpmaker, it's much more difficult to keep the knife vertical.

Spyderco has been at sharpening knives for along time. They started in that business before making their knives. The system to me is easier to use and safe. No guess work and NO CLEANUP. even though I do like Japanese water stones and Arkansas Stones too.

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz

Jon, if you haven't yet, find a picture of the Sharpmaker (which should be easy via Google) and look at it. If you hold the knife vertical (not hard to do), then the angle between the blade and the sticks remains constant. I've had one for years and love it, though I am planning on getting the diamond sticks for faster material removal.

Fox

Added: Oh, and I had one of the Gatco systems and couldn't stand the thing, nor could I get anything sharp with it. YMMV

ceya one said:
Spyderco has been at sharpening knives for along time. They started in that business before making their knives. The system to me is easier to use and safe. No guess work and NO CLEANUP. even though I do like Japanese water stones and Arkansas Stones too.

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz

You do have to scrub the stones with a brillo pad and some comet (or other abrasive cleaner) every few sharpenings.

Just get it, you'll be happy.

Hey Jon, not that I'm saying these " old timers " are trying to be rude or anything like that, but WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.Hope you enjoy your time with us as much as I do! Marty. :cool:

Welcome to the Forum. The Spyderco sharpener is rather easy to use. I wouldn't call it "foolproof" but it is easy to use just be careful of rounding the tip on your knife.

Jon, from an old timer :D welcome.

In regards to the Sharpmaker, they work great if your knife is at that degree of bevel already, if not, a lot of reprofiling is usually necessary and the Sharpmaker is not the best tool for the job.

Thanks for the welcome amd all the replies. This is a very active board!

I have a Cold Steel Master Hunter which has a carbon-V steel blade. How do I know what the angle is on it? When I first bought the knife it was the sharpest thing I have ever seen. After a few deer it is dull as anything else. I would love to get it back to where it was.

Thanks, Jon

I dunno what it was from the factory, but you can make it whatever you want, really. Changing that angle is what's referred to as "reprofiling", and for a long time I didn't realize that that's what I was trying to do to some knives with my Sharpmaker that was taking so #$&^&#$ long. :D If you get a sharpening system with limited flexibility (Sharpmaker), just reprofile it to match one of the two angles, and you're good to go. Sharp is sharp.