Spydercos come and Spydercos go....

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DavidZ, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Methuselah

Methuselah

Feb 7, 2015
    I seem to keep coming back to the 154 cm Manix 2 ... this is my 3rd one...............:D.
    Screenshot_20190106-182823_Gallery.jpg

loon#r, skyhorse, DavidZ and 2 others like this.
  2. CookieRawwr

CookieRawwr

Jun 23, 2014
    The 154cm Manix was my first Spyderco. and definitely the one that I am keeping for life, along with my Millies and Paras.

DavidZ likes this.
  3. mpm0097

mpm0097 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2018
    The Sage 5 is a knife that always finds its way into my pocket. Love the compression lock. It's about the perfect size for my needs, and I prefer the thinner blade and wire clip compared to the Para 3

DavidZ likes this.
  4. sliceofaloha

sliceofaloha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Bought my first Spyderco over the holidays, Blurple PM2 and quite enjoying getting to know it. Slicey as all getout. Chopping some broccoli last night for my youngin’ at her request. More fun than my Shun kitchen knives anyway.

I got a wild hair this morning and started sketching out a clip point slight recurve. I now need to figure out how to model this thing and bring it to life!

DavidZ likes this.
  5. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    I have delica, pm2, military, chaparral. Mantra1 and mantra 3.
    Mantra 3, i removed flipper from and its currently my fav for edc. Also its a gift from my buddy from like grade 4 from Ukraine so its even more special, but i really like the size and no choil and deep black wireclip i put on it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    DavidZ likes this.
  6. PatrickP08

PatrickP08 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I would never give away my Police 1st Gen (with tuff coating) and -of course- the Manix2.
    But, to be honestly, all of my Spydies are my babies... ;):rolleyes:

DavidZ and sgt1372 like this.
  7. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    100_0168.jpg 100_0170.jpg 100_0172.jpg 100_0176.jpg 100_0180.jpg 100_0169.jpg 100_0171.jpg I like spyderco... a lot..

8. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Nice collection, Pharmagator! :)

9. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    WOW!

10. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    real hard to pick only 1 as a forever never gonna let go. if I had to, the full size goddard would be at the top of the choices. its just that great of a design. that said there are many I won't let go.

Pharmagator and DavidZ like this.
  11. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Wow! Really cool @Pharmagator

What is the lovely specimen with the Ball Bearing Lock next to the *amazing* Persians?

Pharmagator, dc50 and DavidZ like this.
  12. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    That is the Spyderco "Phoenix" designed by Howard Viele

DavidZ and BD_01 like this.
  13. anycal

anycal

Jan 11, 2017
    Yeah, I keep all my Spydercos, with the exception of giving handful away to friends in need of a good knife.

If I had to cull the herd, everything would go except the Golden ones. If I had to go further and you let me keep only three, it would be difficult to pick from my couple of Natives, three Militaries, and several PM2s. Beyond that, I am not willing to entertain this hypothetical.

[​IMG]

loon#r, Pharmagator and DavidZ like this.
  14. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    I tried some Spyderco years ago but didn’t care much for them. A couple of years ago I bought a dog tag that I keep on my key ring. Then a cheap Manix 2 came up for sale on the exchange and it started. The Manix led to 4 more Manii and then the Sage 2 and Advocate. Two PM 2s and a Native 5. The ones I am really drawn to now is the Advocate and Sage 2.

15. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    96200730-A04F-4171-A51E-49C3D3BFF6E1.jpeg I own several different Spydie models currently and a PM2 version will always be in my collection and carry rotation :) 2 of my current favorites...

DavidZ, Pharmagator and P2P like this.
  16. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've had my PM2 basically since the 2nd gen first came out. Before that I had a PM1 for several years. There's always going to be a PM2 in my rotation. But now that also goes for the Military and the Para 3.

Para 3 (relatively new)
    [​IMG]

Paramilitary 2 (owned ~7-8 years)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Another Spyderco just came my way last night and best of all it was free! I was at my father-in-law's house and noticed a knife on his desk. I immediately recognized it was a Spydie. I examined it and found it is an old school, fully serrated, Copilot. The backlock wouldn't work due to it being gunked up. I asked him about it and he said I could keep it! Once home, I poured some boiling water on it followed by penetrating oil. I repeated this process until the lock worked. It's now clipped to my pocket. The Copilot is a model I've always wanted, so I'm pretty happy.

18. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have a few other models ... but my Manix IIs are probably my favorite Spyderco ... the M4 version my absolute favorite ...

the Native 5 would be a close second for me.

DavidZ and Pharmagator like this.
  19. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    My Gayle Bradley 2 is currently my 3rd or 4th one. I've let them go when I needed to fund something and have regretted it every time.

20190127_073351~01.jpg

On a recent downsizing I opted to keep this one and came to realize that this one is worth more than whatever it was i thought I needed. This one actually came with a bit of damage to the edge, and I thought "Perfect. I'll fix this and it will be mine."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    DavidZ and Pharmagator like this.
  20. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    I have a PM2, Sage 5, Chaparral, SpydieChef, and a Ladybug. Previously I had a Delica 4 and a Native 5. The Chaparral gets the most pocket time due to its size – it fits perfectly into a jeans small/5th pocket. It's attractive, ergonomic, and a great slicer.

However, the SpydieChef feels as if Spyderco made it to inaugurate a premium line a step above their other products. The combination of design, materials, quality of construction, blade function, handle grip, and ease of carry are hard to beat anywhere near its price, at least for me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019