Spydercos that are slim and lightweight

I recently got a Bugout despite just not being a "butterfly" kind of guy. I have dozens of Spydercos and nothing I have is quite the same as this knife.

It's light and thin, disappears into your pocket, and packs a really nice length of blade into a comfortably long handle. And despite being so lightweight, it still exudes a feeling of robustness. That said, the locking mechanism really isn't my thing and I strongly dislike thumbstuds over the Spyderhole. Congrats to the blue butterfly for finally making a knife that agrees with me, but I gotta find a new Spyderco to restore balance to my world.

What Spydercos would you guys pit against the Bugout, past, present, or upcoming? If it doesn't exist, how would you go about designing a light and slim Spyderco EDC?

The Centofante 4 is a slim, lightweight option, that's about the size of the bugout. Endura/Delica is very slim, unobtrusive and lightweight too.

The Manix in the LW is also lightweight for it's size and for power to weight ratio, not much can beat them.

Slim in what dimension? The Chaparral has a broad blade for it's size, but it's very, very thin and a wicked slicer.

The Centofante 4 is a slim, lightweight option, that's about the size of the bugout. Endura/Delica is very slim, unobtrusive and lightweight too.

I have to agree,I own a Bugout and find that the best alternative is the Delica or Centofante.

I’m going to offer a different answer. If you want a thin, lightweight knife that disappears in the pocket while still offering a fairly large blade, get an Advocate. My custom is VERY thin and carries better than many smaller knives but still manages to comfortably fill the hand in use.

Endura, Delica, Spydiechef, Mantra 2.

The list can go on of course, but there are numerous options to fit your requirements.

Are you talking thin as in width, spine of blade to back of scales? Or are you referring to overall thickness of the knife, as if measured when it's laying flat on a table? Due to the Spydie hole, not many are thin wrt to the first description I mentioned. That's one of the reasons I don't carry a PM2 all that much any more. There are better EDC options if one is looking for a slim carry. For those times, I prefer my (*GASP!*) ZTs; namely my 0450, 0450CF, or 0460.

Contunuing Gringo’s slightly different track (...and at the risk of sounding like a broken record...)

The Spydiechef is actually slightly thinner than the Bugout (and Delica) overall/scale wise. Blade wise it’s slightly thicker, but over a much greater breadth. Admittedly it’s taller and heavier, but it’s a lot more knife that is undeniably thin and light given it’s construction and materials.

...thread needs pics :) ...
2933443E-3412-41E1-A580-F65AF12533A0.jpeg

Last edited:
For those suggesting a Delica, keep the Mantra series in mind. Similar handle dimensions, but more cutting edge length and less ricasso length makes for a great daily thin carry option.
spyderco-mantra-hap-2.jpg

Spyderco Military. If we proportionally shrink the Military to the height of any spydercos, it would be among the slimmest and lightest.

UK Penknife for overall slimmest and lightes

I was going to recommend this. The blade is a little shorter than the Bugout but the UKPK is a very satisfying knife to own. It doesn't lock but has a strong detent like notch action when open and part way it stops too. One would not think this is such a good one hand closer or fiddle / fidget knife but they would be wrong. it's a really satisfying knife all around.
. . . aaaaaaaannnnnnd it comes in S110V for not much more if you like that sort of alloy.
IMG_4516.jpg

Back