Spydiebenza 25

I just weighed the knife.

The original Sebenza 25 is listed at 146 grams (5.2 oz).
Now my modded Spydiebenza is at 139 grams (4.9 oz).

I think it’s rational to agree that for a folder, a Spydie hole isn’t the weak point of the tool. A lock will fail long before the blade will. Casting a hole as a weakness in a folder is a moot point and a cause looking for an effect.

Plus, it seems to ignore the fact that the any knife with a thumb stud is going to have a drilled and possibly tapped screw hole in it, acting as a breakage point anyway.

Source: professional mechanical engineer

as a p.mech.eng, surely you'd concede that a tiny 1 or 2 mm hole for a thumbstud creates much less of a weak point?

as a p.mech.eng, surely you'd concede that a tiny 1 or 2 mm hole for a thumbstud creates much less of a weak point?
What I'd concede is that it's going to result in a smaller remaining cross section, but in terms of stress concetrations the smaller hole has a smaller radius and that is generally worse for what we're referring to, especially if the hole is tapped. Since the cross section of the remaining portion of blade is good enough as shown by most Spyderco knives, I'm not worried about it. And I especially won't be making statements saying that it's not fit for anything other than "minor use" or whatever.

Last edited:
What I'd concede is that it's going to result in a smaller remaining cross section, but in terms of stress concetrations the smaller hole has a smaller radius and is worse for what we're referring to, especially if the hole is tapped. Since the cross section of the remaining portion of blade is good enough as shown by most Spyderco knives, I'm not worried about it. And I especially won't be making statements saying that it's not fit for anything other than "minor use" or whatever.
Also the thumb stud hole then has a hardened stud press-fitted into it. That’s a fairly unique stress. I’ve seen more blades develop a crack at the stud than a crack at a Spydiehole.

Also the thumb stud hole then has a hardened stud press-fitted into it. That’s a fairly unique stress. I’ve seen more blades develop a crack at the stud than a crack at a Spydiehole.
Absolutely this. Seen a lot of Hinderer ZTs broken this way.

t9yf6soq2rlz.jpg

Absolutely this. Seen a lot of Hinderer ZTs broken this way.

A ZT is certainly not a CRK though. It's another level of knowing their stuff. I've seen mutiple fractures on a 0561 Myself .

Never saw a fracture in a CRK or Hinderer.

Regarding the hole. Looks great and I'd try one out. No more/less confidence inspiring imo. Things can happen either way. But a well done stud is stronger :confused:

Probably wouldn't have broken if it was VG10 :D

I think Ted has a broken 25 brace that had stress cracks from the thumbstud

A ZT is certainly not a CRK though. It's another level of knowing their stuff. I've seen mutiple fractures on a 0561 Myself .

Never saw a fracture in a CRK or Hinderer.

Regarding the hole. Looks great and I'd try one out. No more/less confidence inspiring imo. Things can happen either way. But a well done stud is stronger :confused:
Well of course a well executed stud with a smaller hole, a larger moment of area, and better controlled interference with press fit parts is going to be stronger. I just don't agree that this mod is going to introduce any issues that we don't already know of with Spyderco folders (like that they are strong enough for cutting tasks but aren't prybars).

Well of course a well executed stud with a smaller hole, a larger moment of area, and better controlled interference with press fit parts is going to be stronger. I just don't agree that this mod is going to introduce any issues that we don't already know of with Spyderco folders (like that they are strong enough for cutting tasks but aren't prybars).

I concur sir!

I think you'll be fine, looks like a clean job that didn't get overly hot to compromise the heat treat.:thumbsup:

I think it looks great and is a wonderful mod! Especially if you are happy and really that is what is most important. The edges look very nicely chamfered and I bet it is much more enjoyable for you to open if you didn't like the studs to begin with!

The OP got what he wanted, so it is a successful mod IMO. Blades tend to break in that vicinity be they thumb stud or hole. As long as the heat treat wasn't affected I doubt there is a problem. Worst case scenario if the blade breaks for some reason, you buy another from CRK. In the meantime enjoy.

That is darn nice to look at. CRK would go from dangling bellow rock bottom of my consideration list up a few spaces if that were offered along with deflating a few hundred psi from the price of admission.

why would you spend that much on a 15 or 20 minute dremmel job?? honestly curious

(also, personally I'd make it a bit smaller, and might not actually make a hole all the way thru, as that is not needed to give you purchase)

Not everyone is talented enough with a Dremel or other tools to do a good enough job that doesn't take away from the beauty of the knife.

I don't understand the point of conical or similar studs. This design was of my (many) issues with Benchmade.

The Sebenza I had was gorgeous, large 21 with bocote inlay. It's too bad CRK doesn't offer a different stud but c'est la vie. I so want one of those lunar landing sebs.

Last edited:
Really like the new look of my Sebenza 25 with a spydie hole.
I always thought the CRK thumbstuds are too slippery and now I have a shiny new spydie hole to open the knife. And also less weight due to the metal removal :thumbsup:

Why CRK don't offer this option? They can put a slightly oval hole if they fear the (stupid) Spyderco copyright.

foQlAic.jpg

TgRZCrC.jpg

XfjWryw.jpg

The mod was made by cml_knifeworks.
Thanks to him.

I think your CRK looks great. The Spyderco thumb holes is my favorite opening method as well.

Not sure what is "stupid" about trademarking it.

Back