SpyOpera

Does anyone know if the SpyOpera will have PB or Teflon washers? I'm fearful it will be Teflon since Spyderco didn't bother to mention anything about the washers in the description. They should know Teflon is just wrong! :eek:

Lil lionspy, dice, domino are just some off the top of my head

On the Lil Lionspy, it seems that one side of the knife is all G10 with no metal liner. With the butt of the blade rubbing on G10, I can see why a metal washer might not be desirable.

On the Lil Lionspy, it seems that one side of the knife is all G10 with no metal liner. With the butt of the blade rubbing on G10, I can see why a metal washer might not be desirable.
Cant speak to the design choices for choosing teflon over PB, but i can say the action most likely wouldve been improved with PB washers. The lil lionspy had okay action, although i absolutely loved the design

Cant speak to the design choices for choosing teflon over PB, but i can say the action most likely wouldve been improved with PB washers. The lil lionspy had okay action, although i absolutely loved the design

I'm not a knife maker nor am I an expert of any kind, but on the specific design of the Lil LionSpy, wouldn't a phosphor bronze (metal) washer eventually dig into the G10 thus causing blade play?

I'm just saying that PB washers arent always the ideal choice.

With traditional designs and methods of operation, I agree that PB washers are better long term.

If the part of the whole point of the knife is to be different, such as by having a solid G10 side to the handle, then other things need to be considered too.

I'd be surprised to see Teflon washers on the SpyOpera. Again I'm not an expert, but I dont see an obvious design reason to use Teflon.

I am curious though what's in the SpyOpera.

I'm not a knife maker nor am I an expert of any kind, but on the specific design of the Lil LionSpy, wouldn't a phosphor bronze (metal) washer eventually dig into the G10 thus causing blade play?

I'm just saying that PB washers arent always the ideal choice.

With traditional designs and methods of operation, I agree that PB washers are better long term.

If the part of the whole point of the knife is to be different, such as by having a solid G10 side to the handle, then other things need to be considered too.

I'd be surprised to see Teflon washers on the SpyOpera. Again I'm not an expert, but I dont see an obvious design reason to use Teflon.

I am curious though what's in the SpyOpera.
Im not really sure, but i would hope Spyderco designs their knives so nothing is digging into anything. Im sure there are definite benefits to using teflon over PB, though in my experience teflon washers can get deformed pretty easily, not that PB washers cant.

Hopefully we see pb washers in the spy opera. Id like to be able to get some good flicks out of it like i can with other spydoe lock backs

Does anyone know who will be doing the heat treat? Lionsteel usually comes in < 60HRC for M390 while Spyderco is usually > 60HRC.
Hopefully they will be hardening it to Spyderco spec (which is usually among the hardest production HRc for the M390 family), whereas ZT and others routinely run it at 57-59...and kind of defeat the purpose...except Emerson who amuse themselves with selling as poor quality knives as possible for as high price as possible!

The only “bad” heat treat I can recall Spyderco bringing to market on a large scale were the HAP40 family; they rectified that with Rex 45 coming in at 66+

Off the topic of washers being used...I really want to like this knife. I love the blade shape and the Micarta. It looks great opened, but when it’s closed, that gap behind the back of the tang to the frame is such a turn off for me.

They should know Teflon is just wrong! :eek:

Don't know if the new SpyOpera will have teflon or not and I'm not condoning using them. That being said, There's been numerous quality folding knives that have functioned just fine over the last 20 years, Using Teflon washers. I've had Emerson, Cold Steel, Ontario, LionSteel, And others in moderate to hard use with no performance drop on teflon! IMO another made up YouTube fallacy!

Back