Squared Backpack modifications

I want to make a modification to my squared backpack (that I posted pictures of in a different thread).

I work with leather a lot, and have a lot of leather working tools and a lot of experience. So, I am not looking to "hack" anything up, but I want to add one small feature. I am struggling with HOW exactly I want to do it, so I wanted to share with you guys, and see what ideas you might have.

Let me show a picture, then I will explain what I want to do, and some of my initial ideas.

If you look at this picture, there is a hard leather board "divider" in the bag. Between the divider and the front of the bag (bottom of photo) is where I put notebooks, books, cable bags.....pretty much everything. Between the divider and the back is where I put my computer.

My computer is a Macbook, so as one additional step of protection, I will be ordering a SB sleeve for it. They have just been out of stock for awhile, and as soon as they come in, I will get one.

It may seem like I am being overly protective, but put this bag on the back of my motorcycle. I have been carrying MacBooks for years on motorcycle, and I know they see more vibration, and banging around that riding in the back seat of my car :) So, that is why I am taking these extra steps.

Here is what I have done, and what i want to do.

I took an old military sleeping pad (closed cell foam) and lined the bottom of the bag. Just a little extra protection from drops and shocks. I cut a small groove in it (the width of the laptop) for the leather divider to sit in. What this does is keeps the divider in place at the bottom, and keeps it from "kicking out" when the bag is empty. Bag is full.....I never have problems. When the bag does not have much else in it, is where I have my problem. With the bottom in place, while walking, I can feel the laptop bang back and forth between the front and back of the bag.

With the bottom in place, if I can figure out a way to strap the divider board to the back, everything would be nice and secure, and I will feel much better about taking this everywhere on my motorcycle.

I have a leather stitching machine, and I have no problem stitching to the divider. I was thinking about putting a small tab on the top (in the middle) to run a piece of cord through (whether a leather strap, or paracord, etc).

One idea is to just tie it each D ring at the top, over the edges, and be done with it. I might just do that, but I was hoping for something a little more elegant, which is where your ideas come in :)

Some do's and don'ts:
- I don't want to stitch through the back of the bag. I don't want new stitches externally visible, as I probably can not exactly match their thread. I was thinking of a strap from the back middle of the bag, over the divider. This would be a great solution, but I would have to stitch through the bag.
- I don't want to use velcro, or glue stick on stuff.
- I would prefer not to undo stitching. I had though about undoing the stitching at the top of the bag, to integrate a leather loop into the seam, but have decided against that.
- I wouldn't mind punching a clean hole in the side of the bag, near the top. It is in an area that is protected from water....so there might be something there.

I don't know....I am out of ideas there. So, I wanted to see what you guys had.

Thanks,
Brian

Inside the bag are those high pockets, that's your attachment point. Punch two holes towards the back of the pocket and one in the divider, on each side. Then tie it in with 1/8" bungee cord. The bungee cord will give you some flex so you can easily reach your hand in to retrieve the computer. If you ever change your mind and want to remove it, the modifications you've made are minor, and interior. This will also keep the divider from jumping up and out of your slot at the bottom.

Thanks! I had thought about that as well, and at the moment, I am thinking that is my best option. It will be a bit before I get my sleeve, I think so I will wait awhile to see if any other ideas pop up before I do it, but that is my best looking option at the moment.

Thanks again.

Back