Squaring a Drill Press Table

:confused:Is there a simple and inexpensive way to square the drill press table with the chuck other than just lining up the bit and the table with a square? I have a dial indicator but don't want to spend $165 for another gauge that goes in the chuck.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000059094128

I know some of you have a cheaper way of doing it that is more accuate than using a square.

A piece of rod or heavy wire (coathanger).
Put it in chuck, bend till it reaches near the outer edge of the table, then rotate chuck by hand, checking the clearance between the table and the end of the wire.
When the distance off the table is the same all the way around, the table is squared...

Could maybe do that with a hex wrench too so you'd know it was staying square. I got a large set of SAE hex wrenches for about $5 on clearance at Harbor Freight and the largest one is probably 8" long, would be enough for the job plus you'd have new tools ;)

That was a great tip!

Make a simple bracket to mount your dial indicator in your chuck.

squaring.jpg

This was used to tram a mill. It doesn't have to be this complicated. You can just bend some round bar to a right angle.

Mike

Before i got the mill,i just chucked up a 5/16" counterbore and lowered it down to touch the surface on an aluminum plate.pretty much any drill press will require some shimming.

Thanks...I think I will try the homemade bracket for my dial indicator. I may even be able to use the hex wrench for the bracket.

Hi Charles :) The crew here has come up with some really good ideas for improvising a method of checking the spindle to table alignment.

The problem is, unfortunately, most drill press tables or spindles have no method of adjusting the tram. Not like a mill anyway. You may be able to somehow use shims to adjust the table. The spindle on the other hand may be a bit more difficult (not that shimming the table into alignment will be any easier ;) )

This is just what I've found when it comes to most of the drill press tables I've worked with. YMMV. I hope, for your sake, that your drill press table (or spindle) has a better method of adjusting than I've seen on most.

Please keep us posted on what you come up with. Many here, me included, would welcome a simple method :thumbup:

Hi.
You can build your own test indicator holder, but they don't have to be as expensive as you are thinking. You can get the holder separate from the test indicator. Look around MSC Direct, they have cheaper models available.

I had some pictures that I took while squaring my Craftsman drill press.
First pic - The Bent Wire Test
Dagger27-Bent_Wire_Test.jpg

Second Pic - The table is shimmed with a folded piece of aluminum foil.
Dagger28-Foil_Shim.jpg

Back