Squire/501 to drool over ...

For all you 501/Squire fans ... just saw this posted on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2115026336

Says it's a customized 501 Squire ... and I'll have to say that the horn handle looks pretty nice on a 501 (looks like the water buffalo on PCKS although the ebay ad says sheephorn).

My 501MSU (Master Series) is still my favorite carry, but this one is one tempting bugger!

Anyone know the story on this "custom" with a serial number?

Was this a known limited run and if so, what was the original selling price.

Any chance of another special run of 501's? I got a 532 also and it's real sweet, but the 501 is much more pocketable while giving up just a bit of edge.

I did some digging and it turns out to be a catalogue listed custom knife from 1993. You could buy any of the 500 series knives with that handle, and they are very nice! MSRP was $260 and we made approximately 211. To answer the next question, " then why is this one number 0324?". When we had a custom shop you could order a model, like the 501, any way you wanted it. That knife would be serialised with the next available number. All told, there were about 370 customised 501's and 211 of them were siberian impala.
Hope this makes sense.

Makes plenty good sense ... thanks for doing the footwork, Joe.

It's too bad that PCKS doesn't have the volume to support other knife styles besides 110. I can think of several 532 and 501 combinations I can add to my two 501MSU's (hands off!).

110 is just too big for casual carry in my office place ... they jump already with the 501 when I open the coffee bags!

Longden,
I know of a few different handle variations that have been made through the years. The 2000 Buck Collectors Club knife with mirror polished blade & club logo, stag scales and damascus bolsters is quite an attractive piece. They were also offered in Mother Of Pearl scales for a short while. Quite a few etched blade versions were available through the years also.
I do have a 501 with Macassar Ebony scales and raindrop damascus blade that is one of less than 5 made. This damascus blade is the best looking I have ever seen (I will post a pic. later). Picured below are a few others I have collected this year:
1. 551 King Charles 2 (made for distribution in Europe)
2. Buck Bandit w/ raccoon etch 1 of 250
3. Sabertooth etch w/ Mastadon Ivory scales 1 of 500
4. Fisherman And Bass etch 1 of 500
5. Western Reserve Cutlery Assoc. 1 of 75 (same wood as a MS)
6. Brown Bone scales

Attachments

• p1010109.jpg
    p1010109.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 171
Great collection, Mike!

Guess I missed that 2000 Buck Collector's club knife ... darn, you just turn your head for a minute (well, maybe a year). I'd like to see a shot of that one, as well as the one with the damascus blade.

Both probably too high-brow for my use, but I can still appreciate the aesthetics.

I saw a small version of a 500 style knife (I'm tempted to say the 505/Knight but I'm not familiar enough with it) at a local cutlery shop that's similar to the 501 offered on the auction, but smaller than a 501. Came in a nice black wooden collector's case with a sliding lid, and the scales looked like the water buffalo (black). Would have bought that one in a second if it had been larger, but it seemed too small to be useful for me, and I'm not a collector.

Longden,
Thanks for the compliment! I have spent a great deal of time ( and $$) since I started collecting in Jan. of this year. I displayed my collection of 500 series and a few others at The Blade Show in Atlanta earlier this month. I was honored to receive The President's Award from Chuck Buck for having his favorite display among the collector's that showed ( I was hoping for the Novice Award ).
I have the 505 SP-1 that you saw recently, it was a special project for NICA ( a cutlery association ). It has Water Buffalo scales ground to look like Impala. A little pricey but a must for 500 series collection :rolleyes: . The 501 in this thread was actually made from Siberian Impala and didn't have a back bolster. It is pictured in the 1993 Buck Dealer catalog. I didn't go after it on Ebay because I found another ( coincidentally # 320 ) for $150.
Below are pictures of the 2000 Buck Coll. Club knife ( 1 of 185 ), and the Damascus bladed w/ Ebony Macassar wood 501 knife that I spoke of earlier. I have a letter of authenticity signed by Chuck Buck stating it is one of less than 5 made in the Buck Factory in El Cajon, CA.
Peace,

Attachments

• p1010110.jpg
    p1010110.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 131
<sigh> Geeez, a guy's got only so many pockets :)

Great pics and a great collection ... looks like you're taking the 500 collection by storm.

Would've been something to see the 501 (or 532) in black water buffalo and a damascus blade.

BTW, the cutlery shop had the 505 SP-1 for around $80 ... is that considered pricey these days? Now that you mention, it did say NICA on there somewhere.

L,
I can help with a Smooth Black Buffalo horn 532 w/ a BG-42 / Master Series stamped blade. It also has an similar letter signed by Chuck Buck.:D

Attachments

• p1010111.jpg
    p1010111.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Mike, that made my week.

Actually, I was thinking I'd like the unsmoothed water buffalo because it looked like it would improve the grip.

It's what I like about the checkered finish on the green Master Series knives (the official ones at least).

But your 532 is very sweet!

Back