Squirrel hunting, in general

Dipbait,

There a quite a few videos on YouTube that show you how to slit behind the tail and then take their pants off. Very easy. Check it out. I like Fricaseed Squirrel. GREAT EATING.

I'm going for the first time on sunday with my boss. We spent all day looking at places to go, and we are both very excited :) I will be using my .17 HMR and I will make sure to post pics in the event that we are successful :)

This was the only one we saw all day, took it with my single shot 410 after my boss missed 3 times with his 22. My first squirrel :)
2011-12-18135952.jpg

2011-12-18135757.jpg

I popped these three with a stevens crack shot, my wife looked at me funny when I walked out with a gun to fire up the smoker to cook a ham (my FIL jumped up and grabbed his coat though)...little boogers kept barking at me, but after the fall of #3 the others stayed pretty well hidden....
2011-12-25_12-45-06_502.jpg

I popped these three with a stevens crack shot, my wife looked at me funny when I walked out with a gun to fire up the smoker to cook a ham (my FIL jumped up and grabbed his coat though)...little boogers kept barking at me, but after the fall of #3 the others stayed pretty well hidden....
2011-12-25_12-45-06_502.jpg

mmmm milk gravy and some biskits!

Don't get out much anymore but as a youngster I used a 20 gauge single (my first shotgun) when I needed to fill the pot fast, a Winchester Model 61 pump when I was in less of a hurry and a .22 Ruger wheelie when I just wanted to have fun. Didn't get many with the pistol and don't have it anymore but still have the other two.
Once a season a friends father would cook us a 'hunter's' stew using whatever game we had and there were always some squirrels, a few rabbits, a left over dove or three and maybe a little venison. We were about 12 or 3 and could invite friends, which turned into inviting girls, and that pretty much wound up our hunting for a year or two!!

Back