Squirt at 5 years. An update.

Btw did you know the Squirt PS4 is current issue in USAF survival kits..

I was just thinking the other day to make myself basic survival kit and to put my PS4 to the kit. Makes complete sense with the tool selection. Great for manipulating wire, cutting cordage, etc.. I carry knife anyway so what's the point of putting larger knife to it (with possible exception of neck knife)?

Last edited:
I was just thinking the other day to make myself basic survival kit and to put my PS4 to the kit. Makes complete sense with the tool selection. Great for manipulating wire, cutting cordage, etc.. I carry knife anyway so what's the point of putting larger knife to it (with possible exception of neck knife)?

I've always felt a knife or multitool and such is wasted space in a survival kit when a capable option should already be on you anyways.

I've always felt a knife or multitool and such is wasted space in a survival kit when a capable option should already be on you anyways.

I've always thought of it as layers of redundancy and increased capability. I usually carry a SAK or simple folding knife with me, and then have a leatherman multi-tool in the backpack. It has tools that I find add too much weight to carry in the pocket and my knife/multi-tool of the day may not have (e.g., pliers, saw), and redundancy in case something happens to the pocket tool. In addition, in the car emergency kits I have fixed blades knives, with which I could take down small trees.

There are different types of survival kits for different situations. What makes up the EDC of people here varies as well. Personally, I rarely leave my house without a small multi-tool like the Squirt. Larger multi-tools like the Wave end up taking permanent residence in my backpack and my vehicles.

Sooo,

its a little insidious as how the squirt has been soooo slowly influencing my EDC choices of carry. Looking back on it all, its outright weird how I've went from a Case peanut and Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver to a squirt and a small SAK. But the ever present squirt is still giving some kind of constant low level steady influence. Influence to the point of my committing SAKrilege. After 51 years of SAK carry on and off, I find myself slipping back to carrying a dedicated pocket knife for the sheer use of cutting things, and the little Leatherman Squirt.

I find myself more and more leaving the executive home, and slipping the Victorinox florist or Opinel number 6 in my pocket. Both knives have the quality of being able to cut like the dickens, and are very light weight and reliable slicers, well beyond what the Vic executive can do. This duo makes the carry of a third knife for food duty or gutting and prepping a nice fat catfish for the cast iron pan unneeded. Just that itty bitty more blade makes a difference.

With the squirt in a pocket, and the old P-38 in my wallet, that really covers all my tool needs of a suburban curmudgeonly septuagenerian. Broken finger nail? The squirt scissors handle it as well as the executive. The smooth side of squirt file handles a chipped nail as well as the Vic file. Not to mention that the squirt tools are somewhat sturdier than the small SAK.

Its a bit of a shock to realize that after all this time, I'm slipping away from the SAK for the small Leatherman. The Leatherman squirt has been a long slow lesson in something that I'm not sure how to put into words. Very weird.

Its interesting how different things were good for different stages of my life, depending on age and where I was living.

You're gonna love it. Its such a competent little tool that is soooo easy to have along, but can actually handle a lot of small emergencies.

[...]

You were right. Been using it steadily, and I do love it. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Now, if SAK would make their full sized multi tools with a more needle nosed pliers, life would be complete!

I carry the squirt occasionally and was thinking one day that if you could put SAK classic scissors and replace the file with awl/scraper it would be the perfect one for meā€¦ and maybe gray scales. šŸ˜Ž

I carry the squirt occasionally and was thinking one day that if you could put SAK classic scissors and replace the file with awl/scraper it would be the perfect one for meā€¦ and maybe gray scales. šŸ˜Ž

Yeah, this!

The Leatherman scissors are not up to Victorinox standard by any means. Making the squirt scissors the classic scissors would be dynamite. And even though I've used the squirt file now and then, yes, I'd replace it with a SAK awl in a heartbeat.

Those modifications would make the squirt a shinning example of perfection.

Back