SR1 OR 4MAX SCOUT

d762nato

Gold Member
I've got a question for you folks that have the two knives mentioned in my heading. I want to know which of these two would be the tougher have better ergo's ect. ect. Thanks,

4 max scout. I have an sr1 lite, ergos go to 4 max. Sr1 is lighter. 4 max has better blade geometry. Toughness is a toss up, they're both built ridiculously strong.

4 Max will be more to carry , but also more functional IMO .

Better slicer , broader blade with belly . Better handle ergo .

Both are plenty strong .

4Max Scout is a brick, very heavy but that's exactly why I bought and like it. Haven't cut anything with it but I won't put it anywhere close to the slicer category. But, with just about $80-$100, I don't think you can find another folder that is as strong and reliable as it. Never had a SR1 and I don't care. If it were me, I absolutely go for 4Max Scout.
xzjvAOh.jpg

4max scout has a more comfortable handle,it is heavier but it also has a much better slicing blade.I wish the sr1 lite was aus10 i hate 8cr13...

I had SR1 with S35VN for a while and it was enough comfortable for me. Still wondering why I got rid of it.

As others have stated; the Scout has a slight larger footprint, over the SR1. The 'toughness aspect' is a toss-up. Also, the SR1 comes in two blade patterns: clip, and tanto. Which makes it more of a 'tactical' choice. I currently own two Scouts, and an SR1. The price of the Scout is something to consider, since its usually right around ninety-dollars, at most knife retailers. The SR1 is around $150 dollars. But your paying-extra for the CPM-S35VN alloy.

Thanks folks Sorry about the late reply. I guess I heard what you all were posting because I ordered the Scout yesterday. I did watch a video of Jimmslash on the 4 max's and he has a pile of them. They look like Awesome knives can't wait to check it out. I still want to pick up and SR1 Tanto as well though one day.

Thanks folks Sorry about the late reply. I guess I heard what you all were posting because I ordered the Scout yesterday. I did watch a video of Jimmslash on the 4 max's and he has a pile of them. They look like Awesome knives can't wait to check it out. I still want to pick up and SR1 Tanto as well though one day.

I have the SR1 clip point and like it. I thought about the 4max scout, but I got the AD10 instead. The AD10 is a great knife. Big enough, but not too big or heavy. A better slicer than the SR1 and seems to be as strong.

I have the SR1 clip point and like it. I thought about the 4max scout, but I got the AD10 instead. The AD10 is a great knife. Big enough, but not too big or heavy. A better slicer than the SR1 and seems to be as strong.
I haven't really looked at the AD10 that sounds like another great option, although I believe the wife is getting tired of knives for some reason. :rolleyes:

Reactions: AF
The AD10 is a fantastic knife. I have a first run hollow ground model...that thing slices for days! I imagine the flat ground models slice ok as well, probably like the 4 max. The SR1s are NOT slicers. They are way too thick (5mm stock) and don't thin out much behind the edge. They still cut, but are made to be a more stout type of blade for when you want to do things a knife probably shouldn't!

Curious why they called it "Scout" instead of "Lite" like the others? Maybe they figured "Max" and "Lite" didn't make sense together? Like jumbo shrimp:D

The AD10 was a revelation to me . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Out of box , the Tri-ad lock was so "drop shut" smooth that I though for a second that it was broken or loose pivot . :eek:
I just got a Lawman that's like that but the others not so much. I've got to check out an AD10 I guess as well. My significant other is not going to like it though. :eek::D Well the 4Max Scout is on the way to me and I reckon I'll hold off on the SR1 for a while as I recently picked up a Bush Ranger, Recon1 spearpoint, Lawman and the 4Max Scout. So far I'm loving that Lawman I got so nice and thin too. What an awesome little folder. I think I'll pick up another for my son one day also. Thanks all for the great info and all folks and have a great day. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just got a Lawman that's like that but the others not so much. I've got to check out an AD10 I guess as well. My significant other is not going to like it though. :eek::D Well the 4Max Scout is on the way to me and I reckon I'll hold off on the SR1 for a while as I recently picked up a Bush Ranger, Recon1 spearpoint, Lawman and the 4Max Scout. So far I'm loving that Lawman I got so nice and thin too. What an awesome little folder. I think I'll pick up another for my son one day also. Thanks all for the great info and all folks and have a great day. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
For me the Lawman turned out too thin and a bit uncomfortable ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The AD10 was a revelation to me . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Out of box , the Tri-ad lock was so "drop shut" smooth that I though for a second that it was broken or loose pivot . :eek:
Agreed. The AD10 is the finest CS I’ve ever handled. So smooth, it quickly became my favorite fidget knife, until my wife claimed it.:) I went with the 4MAX Scout as it fits me better.

The 4 Max Scout is a real eye catcher, but it weighs only 1.72 oz. less than my Survive Knives 7/7! I don't know where all the weight is in that thing. It would be a good fixed blade alternative if it weighed like 6 oz. They must have tungsten spacers or something:D. But, what a beauty that thing is!

Back