1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SRKW M9LE Differential Heat-Treat - Increased Value?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by ScooterJammer, May 21, 2016.

1. ScooterJammer

ScooterJammer

Feb 15, 2009
    Based on discussions on this Forum, it's my understanding the SRKW M9LE, purchased April of '2009, was the last of the SRKWs to be 'Differentially Heat-Treated'? I've always thought Differential Heat-Treat was a 'better' (arguably) heat-treating technique than 'Through Heat-Treating'. Since I'm considering selling my unused knife, does this increase or decrease it's collect-ability?

Thanks in advance!

SJ

2. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    you would need at least a gold membership to ask about values.

3. ScooterJammer

ScooterJammer

Feb 15, 2009
    Oh! Sorry about that. Been meaning to 'upgrade', now I've got a good reason. Thanks.

SJ

4. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Yes, I would say the DHT is more collectible on some blades since it's no longer done. Always liked the M9, do you have a photo of it you can post up?

5. ScooterJammer

ScooterJammer

Feb 15, 2009
    FloridaBlade...thank you for your response. I can PM you an image of the knife. If, that's okay?

SJ

6. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Not in the market for an M9 myself, I was just curious that's all.

7. ScooterJammer

ScooterJammer

Feb 15, 2009
    FloridaBlade...No worries. Thanks for the interest.

Scooter

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I don't think the M9LE's value is changed up or down by the fact it has a DHT, all M9s/M9LEs had the DHT so therefore they will all be worth what the market says and M9 is worth (different if some where DHT and others were not). I have noticed that M9s seem really soft in the marketplace at the moment. They are offered and remain unsold at prices that would have seen them vanish in minutes just a couple of years ago.

They are a great blade !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ScooterJammer

ScooterJammer

Feb 15, 2009
    Andy the Aussie...thanks for the great images. My M9 LE is like your top photo, except s/n: 042. I purchased it in '2009 when SRKW announced the limited production run. My plan was to retire my well-used, well traveled Randall Model 14. Unfortunately, I got hurt and no longer do the kind of work that requires carrying a big a knife.

Regarding desirability, 'big knives' are not everyone's cup of tea. To quote one of your fellow countrymen, Paul Hogan, "Now, this is a knife!"

A small blade will get you through most bushcraft situations, but sometimes, a large blade is the better choice.

SJ

10. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The marketplace is a mystery to me when it comes to the M9. One of the Swamp's greats IMO, but it seems to fly under the radar.

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I agree mate, "Bowie" styled blades are soooo popular and this is really a great modern take on the theme. Given that Trailmasters seem to sell well I NEVER understand why M9s hang around so long..!!

12. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It's quite simple, M9 is just too awesome for majority of people to dare to buy/own!

13. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I cannot argue with that logic! :D

[​IMG]

14. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Agreed, it's blade intimidation. :D

15. ScooterJammer

ScooterJammer

Feb 15, 2009
    You folks are 'killing me'! :D

Popularity of any given 'thing' is definitely at the whim of the public. There's a style of knife very popular with the 'Bushcraft' crowd that I personally think is totally impractical. It has an exaggerated front portion of the blade, looking almost like a mutated small Hatchet and a rather extreme style of grind. I can only imagine field sharpening is problematic, at best. In it's defense, those who own them say 'it's the greatest thing since sliced bread'. Another disturbing 'style' popular in the 'Bushcraft world' is the lack of a Cross-Guard. I have an old hunting buddy who no longer has use of his three fingers on his right-hand. While field dressing a Deer, his bloody had slipped down on the blade and cut the tendons of his hand. I know the Cross-Guard can get in the way, but I never felt the need to go 'sans guard'. I prefer the 'organic style' of Bill Scagel knives. Small, blended into the lines of the knife.

SJ

16. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    You make a good point about the guards. I like a good finger guard, and swamprat does them very well.