1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ST300 sheath ?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by olddogrib, Dec 1, 2018.

1. olddogrib

olddogrib

Apr 18, 2011
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question. I acquired a like-new ST300 in a trade. I like it a lot, but will confess that it spends most of its time in the glovebox of my truck, as it's not a light-weight. It came with two sheaths, leather and a bit larger nylon? When it is on my belt it's in the nylon. I noticed for the first time the other day that the sheath has an internal elastic band that is the width of the sheath and about 2/3rds the depth. What is it's purpose? The tool can fit under it but I don't think with the Velcro flap closure that its purpose would be additional security. thanks

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That sheath would be for a different model ( I wanna say the wave ) and the elastic pocket is for the set of bits that said model accepts.

I bought my dad a brand new super tool 300 as an early christmas gift a couple weeks ago which came with the sturdy leather sheath ( one of the reasons I chose it )

3. olddogrib

olddogrib

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks. I hadn't considered that possibility, but it makes sense. The leather sheath for it looks about half as wide, but fits it perfectly. The guy probably just threw in a sheath from a bit driver model. I've heard the warnings about storing knives, guns , etc. in leather due to long-term moisture/rust issues, but considering I wipe religiously wipe down and lube every metal thing I own that even comes near a drop of water I doubt it would be a problem. I do tend to stay away from leather items during traditional archery deer seasons due to some tanned leathers having an odor, but that's probably overkill too!

4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    You'll find it pretty tough to rust a 300 just due to leather moisture. I've been running one hard for 6 or 7 years as well as its little brother the Rebar. I'm a contractor so it routinely sees sweat, mud, grime, dirt, mud, chlorinated water, and mud, and I haven't managed to cause more than some superficial spotting at the rougher parts of the castings at the jaws and maybe a couple flecks down where the tools rest. I take care of my tools, but it's not uncommon for my MT to pressed into some sort of job while digging and getting nothing more than a shake and fold with mud in the workings for several hours until I can detail it.

They take a lot of abuse.

I carry mine in a custom leather sheath that I made for it. I prefer a molded friction for without a flap.