How To Stabilized wood question. Sorry if in wrong place, but new here.

I am embarking on making my own stabilized wood. I have helped make it before but never got this detail figured out. I have a custom order needing toasted / burnt ash for handles. Obviously scales need to be all shaped and basically 'done' before toasting. I am thinking complete finish then toast before stabilizing, then mounting. Could they be mounted, finished, toasted then stabilized ? Yes, I mean attached to knife. This means stabilizing the complete knife.
Thank you and again sorry if in wrong place to ask

My guess is that it’d work, but would take extra vacuum time to fully saturate. Maybe make a test assembly first, then cut it open and check saturation.

Of course, it’d require a chamber big enough to fit the whole knife.

Parker

Thanks. Was just hoping to avoid running a test piece by asking / hoping someone already had this figured out. Got 6, 4 1/2 " fixed blade with sheath to make for my grandsons' wedding. They are Groomsman gifts. I normally do hardwood or horn / bone. Hardwood already stabilized
Welcome to Bladeforums.

For knifemaking questions visit the Knifemakers subforum. You can find it here- https://bladeforums.com/forums/shop-talk-bladesmith-questions-and-answers.741/
I know I got to figure this site out. Thanks. I have been bladesmithing about 10 years and on my own for 7 years. Still learning every day and even surprising myself !

I wouldn't stabilize finished/nearly finished scales. There's a good chance they'll crack or warp during the process. And I don't think the heating would be good for the epoxy holding the scales, but that's only opinion.
I tested some stabilized maple scales with Aqua Fortis and heat. The scales were about 90% finished and off the knife. After the heating phase, they took on a pretty serious warp that had to be dealt with before mounting. Proceed with caution...

Back