Stabilizing and Heatreating

Hello everyone
I am new with knife making, about to finish my self made grinder. I would like a recommendation on someone you have used for Heat Treating stainless steel and Stabilizing wood handles. I am in Connecticut someone close would be great.
Thanks
DP

Ya should ask this over in the knife makers section. Ya get a lot of answers there.

Hello everyone
I am new with knife making, about to finish my self made grinder. I would like a recommendation on someone you have used for Heat Treating stainless steel and Stabilizing wood handles. I am in Connecticut someone close would be great.
Thanks
DP
I’ve used Paul Bos HT at Buck Knives for over 25 years and K & G for stabilization . I will Ask a Mod for you to move this to “Shop Talk” for others suggestions.

I use Peters for large batches to be heat treated. Just received 108 blades of one steel back from them and am finishing up 117 of another steel to send to them this week. However their pricing system is not set up for small batches or individual blades. I'd agree with Stacy on using JT. I've used him for a couple of small batches and he has rave reviews from others here. K&G is the way to go for your wood.

K&G and JT Heat Treating.

Not local for you, but the best around in my opinion.

+ 2.
I do my own HT but the interactions I have seen here from JT are very positive. He seems to work very hard to deliver a quality process and product.

Just a data point, my recent batch of 7 blades took 4 weeks turnaround time from JT.

Pretty much everyone is taking longer right now.

If you need it fast you either need to get your own HT oven and LN Dewar, or find a maker near you who has the equipment and visit him with a case of his favorite beer.

Yeah we have gotten so swamped and have been trying to get orders out faster. We have just brought in our first employee. Only part time right now as he has a full time job. But he will take a lot of workload off us by doing the more remedial tasks like cleaning slag off cut blades and foil wrapping.

thanks for the kind words everyone - JT

Back