Stacked leather handles

Kabar, Marbles, and what appears to be a green M&M:
oE2KZ4Z.png

GytJJbe6ZiFwY835uTOI13S6RaKLrbMQmxFJ8aUoNGH

Last edited:
I've loved stacked leather handles ever since I owned my first Ka-bar.

Who has a knife with a stacked leather handle they love?

What's the secret to great stacked leather?

And who makes the nicest stacked leather handles these days, on a knife that's worth owning for a lifetime?

I'll start with a beauty: Fallkniven NL5, photo by @BryFry. I think Hattori is the maker on this one.
Z2V6fWD.png

My answers:
I like all my stacked leather knives!

The secret is to choose leather from the shoulders, where it is most dense.
The stack should also be tightly compressed already before the pommel & nut is assembled.

I have got great stacked leather from Fällkniven (Hattori made), Bark River and Hess knives.

The Idun
NL 5 Idun.jpg

Idun & Hess Tiburon
IMGP5954.JPG

IMGP5955.JPG

The Hess & Bark River Bowie

Hess and Bark River.jpg

Tang on NL4

Tang--NL4-Frey-003.jpg

Mora homemade

IMGP6521.JPG

Regards
Mikael

Beautiful knives and that Idun is on my list as I already have the Tor. Yeah I do like leather handled knives as well, hey I need/want an Odin now that I think about it. ;)

Same...have the Tor and looking to get an Odin. Think the Tor is my only leather handle so far.

IMO the Odin is the true workhorse in the NL series!
Big enough for Big knives work, but small enough to carry in the outdoors.
To me the Tor is the centerpiece in my collection, but I don't take it out to the forests due to the size.

Odin on a dead & dry Peartree.

Chopping 026.jpg

Green 5" Maple

NL2 033-1.jpg
Great, just Great knife!

Regards
Mikael

To me the Tor is the centerpiece in my collection, but I don't take it out to the forests due to the size.
Regards
Mikael

Don't be a tease! Give us a pic of that Tor. You know I have lusted after that knife of yours for years....

That Odin is sweet Mikael, that pic is making it hard for me to resist. The Odin would look nice next to my Tor and an Idun as well. Thanks for the great pictures and more temptation.

Don't be a tease! Give us a pic of that Tor. You know I have lusted after that knife of yours for years....

:D Allright, here's a pic of the Tor with my other NL's as this is a stacked leather topic.

IMGP5589.JPG

You are not alone in lusting for that one! I have had many requests over the years, but it is already spoken for by my son.

Regards
Mikael

Can't believe I just now found this thread. I have a camp oriented knife from @wajgy that's scheduled to be finishing up in the next couple weeks (potentially this week even) and I'm working on a puukko with another maker on the forums as a companion.

For now, I only have a beat up kabar I received in a trade and a Hess pioneer.
4A6gxHHl.jpg

V4nroWQl.jpg

Back