Stag and W2: The making of a Russ Andrews bowie.

Sometimes lady luck smiles on you. Yes, sometimes she kicks you in the shins, but thankfully for me this is not one of those stories.

You see, I had been chatting with Russ on the phone one evening - about knives and life and such - when we got to discussing his current projects. He mentioned that he had a couple of relly nice pieces of stag that he was putting to good use (translation - bowie handles). He had just completed one for a fellow froumite and was about to get started on another for a dealer. We chatted a bit more, which was fortunate as it gave my syrupy synapses time to fire: Dealers...didn't know that Russ worked with any dealers....you know the thing about dealers.... they've been known to sell... knives.... they..order "HeyRusswhichdealerizzit??!"

About 3.6 nanoseconds later I had Les Robertson on the phone. No, this knife wasn't spoken for. Yes, he would put me down for it. COOL!

Russ had yet to put hammer to steel, so I also had the benefit of seeing knife unfold over time. The pictures pretty much tell the story thereafter, so I’ll just string them together for you. (Dial-up dudes, the album can be found here: http://www.fototime.com/inv/137BABB699AF528 )

From humble beginnings: a stout bar of W2:

orig.jpg

Get it hot, hit it hard and shape it thusly (or, how to drastically oversimplify the forging process):

orig.jpg

When it gets sufficiently blade-like, quit hitting it:

orig.jpg

After some grinding, put it in a home-made blade clamp and stamp your name on it:

orig.jpg

If you happen to own a blade marked: “ER Andrews II” consider yourself fortunate and please consider putting me in your will.

orig.jpg

Next you may want to spend about a gazillion hours working through several increasingly fine grits of sand paper, rub-rub-rubbing the kind of superlative finish that this blade (and all Russ’ blades) exhibits:

orig.jpg

Per Russ: "The blade's finished to 1500 grit with a hard block, then refinished with a block which has a thin leather cover. That little bit of give in the leather seems to aid in bringing out the hamon, and I think it leaves a little bit better finish."

… end, Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of 2….
These pictures give you a glimpse of the wispy, ghost-like hamon that flows across the blade. Subtle and fiendishly difficult to capture in a photograph, it is provides just the right added touch to this blade without dominating visually or pulling your eye away from the graceful lines.

orig.jpg

Hey wait a minute – didn’t I say something about stag? Yep, sure did. And a lovely piece of stag it is. You’ve seen the almost good enough to eat caramel amber stag? Well, meet the equally delicious chocolate mocha variety.

Inletting for the ferrule using inverted Roto Zip held in bench vice:

orig.jpg

Inletted handle and ferrule:

orig.jpg

Ferrule fitted and temporarily mounted. Also shows other side of the stag. This is 360 degree goodness.

orig.jpg

Now, it was abundantly clear to me at an early stage that I would be practically under a moral obligation to ensure that this blade was properly photographed, and so I once again enlisted the talents of my buddy Coop. Enjoy:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

My thoughts on the knife? Simply put, this one is in the “as good as it gets category” for carbon steel stag bowies. Elegant, flowing lines; a stunning palm-filling piece of stag (easily among the best pieces I have ever personally seen); endearing details such as the striking treatment of the butt cap and absolutely first rate fit and finish of all components.

This is a big blade that doesn’t look or feel big. With a blade length of 10 1/8” and overall length of 15 1/8” this is a lot of knife. But the terrific balance combined with the (not easy to execute, mush less to execute perfectly) looong clip running almost the length of the spine operate so as to belie those dimensions.

Okay, that’s about as long as I can go without picking up this knife again, so I’ll sign off. But not before expressing my thanks to Russ, Les and Coop. Dealing with individuals who are not only consummate professionals but genuinely good people makes the ownership experience that much more rewarding.

Roger

Flat-out beautiful!

Great knife, great story, great pics. The best part we all got to watch that baby being born. :thumbup:

I bow to thee; allmighty Andrews bowie pickerupper. ;) :thumbup: :)

Russ, ya done good, my friend!(yeah, like that's a surprise to anybody)

A stag handled Bowie is about as good as it gets. That's sweet!

A feast for the eyes and a great write up.
Congrats Roger and thank you. :thumbup: :cool:

Doug

Man...I can tell by all the fixtures and jigs that Russ puts WAY too much thought into making his knives:D

Typical Andrews awesomness!!

I have never, ever, seen a piece of stag that was so gratifying in heft and character. Damned if it doesn't somehow steal the show. How in the WORLD can a piece of stag overshadow RA3's clean work???

Well, it doesn't overshadow it really, but it is a great punctuation mark to this fine piece. My thanks and congrats back to Roger and Russ for aligning me with this some way.

Coop :thumbup:

Great piece Roger, thanks for showing it! Incredible craftsmanship. I have a question, does the blade have a hardening line or a hamon?

The matching of the stag handle to the butt cap is stunning. What a wonderful tribute to great craftsman ship.:) :)

What a write up! Roger's eloquence, Coop's artistry,
and much appreciated comments from knowledgable knife folk.

THANKS !

The stag was dyed with Fiebing's leather dye. NOT ALL
respond to the dye as well as that piece did. ( FWIW )

Back