Stag handle repair, knife restoration

Will get some pics to post but customer asked if I could find someone to fix his fathers old meat cutting knives. They have sentimental value so replacing the horn is not an option wants to see if can be saved. One the handle came off and judging the tang length it may have broken inside. The other the butt capp is gone and the ferrule is loose. The blade has come out a bit and is bent. Placing the ferrule on the handle it is clear there is no way as is the blade will mate up with it as is

Anyone thing they can remove the old handles intact and repair?

IfgefUUl.jpg
LxX5cs5l.jpg

Knife 1
QddmE4zl.jpg

Knife 2
TlSFNFEl.jpg
NfYzpePl.jpg

The ferrule is loose but pushed against the horn to show how the blade is bent away and can't mate up as is

hfJwEltl.jpg

Clean the rust off the tang on the top one, and epoxy the handle back on.
Bottom- are you sure the handle came off of that knife, and not a different one?

If I were working on them, I would also fill the cracks in the handle and recolor/refinish it.

Seems attached quite fast on that one Bill. Thought maybe the same since it is so off and tried feeling for any looseness and none. He is an older guy and says it was one his father started as an apprentice meat cutter with so has great sentimental value. Do not want to risk destroying the handles his father wielded for years.

The top one the cracks do not go through to the bore. I may be able to do that but going on vacation. Told him I would find an expert to deal with them

Disassemble everything
Wire brush the handles to clean off the oxidized layer
Re-stain with Fiebings dye
Fill all cracks with CA
Brush with a fine brass wheel or hand brush
Buff with a dry muslin wheel or use just a little matchless pink compound.
Clean all metal parts of rust. I would leave the blades almost as-is, and just clean them lightly with a fine polish compound like Flitz.
Weld on new tangs if necessary.
Wire brush the ferrules with a brass brush then polish with Flitz.
Dry fit everything and adjust the handle ends as needed to make a good fit-up.
Epoxy the knife back to together.

i just did a 3 piece set like this a few months ago.. the thin ferrule had to be soldered then epoxy filled when gluing everything back together..
the end was missing a end cap , use nickle silver there.. follow Stacys advise or send them to Bill

Man, God bless people who take the time to do this kind of work. I find that I would rather make a new knife with only hand tools than repair one. Which is horrid. I have tried, and I have been aggravated by the entire process. No thanks. No way. Nope. I put it right up there with kissing my sister. Ughh.

Back