1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stag hunter

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Del Raso Knives, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Del Raso Knives

Del Raso Knives

Dec 24, 2005
    Just finished this drop point with some Samba kindly given to me by fellow Aussie maker and member here, Ian Stewart. Very generous gesture. Blade is hollow ground CPM154 and extra wide guard is 416. We all know how hard good antler is to find and how much a good piece can add. Thanks again Ian, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. Hope you Gents like it too.

[​IMG]Drop Point Hunter by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

[​IMG]1980-01-01 00.07.50-1 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

[​IMG]1980-01-01 00.12.01 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

[​IMG]tapered tang hunter by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Beautifully done, and the sheath is amazing as well! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Del Raso Knives likes this.
  3. KCGGBC

KCGGBC KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 14, 2012
    Another exceptional piece! :cool::thumbsup:

4. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    nice fluting on that bolster

5. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Virtual perfection my friend.... :)

6. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker - Buckeye Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    Splendid as usual :thumbsup:

7. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    a beauty :)

8. Jonathans

Jonathans Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Beautiful blade! Can you talk about your treatment to your sheath a bit? Its wonderful.

9. jftman

jftman

Sep 3, 2006
    Z-eye

10. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very Nicely Done !

11. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Beautiful, well done

12. watermule

watermule

Nov 26, 2015
    Absolutely gorgeous my friend.
    Rob

13. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Beautifully done as usual. The ghosting around the pins is a little distracting though. With use I imagine that might be something that disappears in time? The sheath is excellent too. Nice pattern.

14. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    That is one beautiful stag hunter very nicely finished....just excellent overall package with that lovely sheath also. Wow!

15. Del Raso Knives

Del Raso Knives

Dec 24, 2005

Thanks very much everyone.

I'll do my best to explain this without writing a short novel Jonathan.

The stamp is made from a bit of 3/16 off-cut. The face was slightly domed, then gouged with whatever fell to hand, and then finally hit with a scotchbrite wheel to soften any sharp edges. I stamp from the left towards the middle of the sheath, overlapping the the stamping as I need to. I then move down about the thickness of the stamp and repeat from the right to the middle. Going just past the middle of the sheath with each row looks best. I repeat the alternating rows all the way down the sheath. To finish off I use the lip of the mushroomed head to create a line that takes each row past the center a bit further. I do this to soften and camouflage the abrupt impression the end of the stamp leaves. As with other patterns the boarder tool frames every thing.

Staining is fairly straight forward. A cap-full of London tan with a couple of drops of black in it to make a nice brown is applied liberally over the hole sheath. Let that sit for 10 mins or so and then using the brush in the pic I apply several light coats of black over the high spots. The brush needs to be only "just wet" or the darker dye will run. I find the best way to apply the darker dye is to lay the brush parallel with the face of the sheath and use the sides of the bristles rather than the ends. When I am happy with the contrast between the high and low spots on the front panel I re-stain the rest of the sheath with black of very dark brown.

Hope the above makes sense and the pics help. I also regularly use the stamp to make vertical lines instead of horizontal ones. Quite effective at creating a very convincing Antler pattern.

[​IMG]1980-01-01 00.00.47 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

[​IMG]1980-01-01 00.00.53 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

[​IMG]1980-01-01 00.13.06 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

16. Del Raso Knives

Del Raso Knives

Dec 24, 2005

Yep, was really disappointed and annoyed when it showed up. Did all the right things to not get the Corbys hot. Everything was looking great until I over did it with a 600gt belt. As you say it may disappear with time as natural oil in the Stag moves back in, surely hope it does.

17. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your work is always spectacular.

18. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Beautiful knife and sheath!

19. Jonathans

Jonathans Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks Peter,
    Thats very generous of you. The result is outstanding.

20. Del Raso Knives

Del Raso Knives

Dec 24, 2005
    No worries Jonathans, my pleasure.