Stag Saturday - Let's See Some Traditional Stag!

Picked this beauty up from dyavorsky off the exchange, it started an obsession with stag!!
IEbQwHo.jpg

zVup6yb.jpg
Very nice Stag 44 my friend . You now have the not curable Stag Pox . Please do yourself a favor and carry it in a good slip to reduce the chance of getting the Dredded Green Verdigris from the reaction of Brass and water .

Harry

Stropping Young Lad Stropping Young Lad
Although my knowledge comes from seeing others post grafting knives herabouts, and learning from them. Its for lifting bark to graft a cutting into the tree. I can't remember the reason they don't use metal. That one looks to be bone or ivory, and to be honest the first one I've seen posted with a folding one. Really cool imo.

Really cool knife, Charlie. What’s the little yellow blade for?
It's Ivory, and usually called a spud, Colin.
As David stated, it is used to "tease" open the bark after a cross cut, to slip in a bud, to graft it to a limb. Apparently carbon steel messes up the chemistry of the sap, and interferes with the graft, hence Ivory. I have also seen them in Bone, Stainless Steel and Plastic!
This one is nicely shaped - most are just flat/tapered.

Stropping Young Lad Stropping Young Lad
Although my knowledge comes from seeing others post grafting knives herabouts, and learning from them. Its for lifting bark to graft a cutting into the tree. I can't remember the reason they don't use metal. That one looks to be bone or ivory, and to be honest the first one I've seen posted with a folding one. Really cool imo.

It's Ivory, and usually called a spud, Colin.
As David stated, it is used to "tease" open the bark after a cross cut, to slip in a bud, to graft it to a limb. Apparently carbon steel messes up the chemistry of the sap, and interferes with the graft, hence Ivory. I have also seen them in Bone, Stainless Steel and Plastic!
This one is nicely shaped - most are just flat/tapered.

Wow, that’s really cool! Thanks for the info, guys.

B Bull71
Thanks, I was very happy to find it even before I knew anything about Robert Klaas. I only started looking yesterday after I bought it. I could tell right away it was good quality, and I'd seen others here post Klaas knives. Any idea of age? Thanks

I have liked Robert Klass knives and collected them for 20 years. The German made ones were good quality. Most have the kissing crane tang stamp. The love birds tang stamp was used on the congress pattern and a 4” 3 blade stockman pattern handled in stag. That’s the only 2 patterns I’ve ever seen. My best guess is early 1980s as I’ve never been able to find exactly when the love birds were made. The last 2 I have seen in the last 3 years were more costly than I was willing to spend. Congratulations on picking that one up!

Back