Stag Trail Master handle

So what method did Cold Steel use to attach the handle on the stag Trailmaster?

And what did the tang look like? Different from a regular Trail Master tang? Did each tang have to be custom trimmed or bent to fit each individual stag handle? And how was the handle held on?

So what method did Cold Steel use to attach the handle on the stag Trailmaster?

And what did the tang look like? Different from a regular Trail Master tang? Did each tang have to be custom trimmed or bent to fit each individual stag handle? And how was the handle held on?

Have wondered this myself. Have seen some stag handles that are so curved there's no way the regular tang would work.

I believe it was a cable tang setup like the Natchez and Laredo bowies.

I believe it was a cable tang setup like the Natchez and Laredo bowies.

Guess that makes sense, but the Natchez and Laredo has a flush pommel nut to create tension on the cable. Maybe the stag TM has that recessed into the stag and then covered by the brass pummel cap, instead of being exposed?

Guess that makes sense, but the Natchez and Laredo has a flush pommel nut to create tension on the cable. Maybe the stag TM has that recessed into the stag and then covered by the brass pummel cap, instead of being exposed?

I always wondered about that.
I'd love to see pics of the internal construction.

Here are a few pics of the tang of a Laredo. For whatever it's worth to the conversation.

DYvaelL.jpg

hHMDzL4.jpg

The first photo originally posted on Bladeforums by member Picksmith, the second by member Not2sharp.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pics.
Thanks also to the original forum members that posted them.
The photos I've seen before weren't as clear.
After thinking about this topic I had a memory flash of another version of this type of construction.
If I'm not mistaken I once saw one that used chain links instead of the cable.

This also reminds me of an old Laredo Bowie review by Bill Bagwell.
It was around the time that it was first released.
He thought at the time that it had a full tang. He was a big advocate of full length tangs.
I wonder if he was ever informed about the Laredo's actual construction.
I never heard of one failing because of the tang length or overall build. I've since learned that this method is not as uncommon as I would've thought.

Good topic!

Last edited:
Back