Stainless Damascus?

Can it be? Got an email this morning from TNK(True North Knives). Their website shows several new CR knives including one custom Mnandi with Devon Thomas "Stainless Damascus" blade. I personally have been waiting over a year to get one made for may large wood inlay Sebbie. Didn't think it would ever happen. I know the CR shop is switching their regular stainless from BG-42, but has anyone heard of Chris offering stainless Damascus now? Any help would be great.

RW

I saw the same thing. I dont like the thought that CRK uses Devin Thomas SS damascus. It was sometime ago made of AEB-H and 304. 304 is austenituc steel and AEB-H is in same class as 440A. Those adds to someting like 420J2 AKA age hardened cheese. Of course layer thickness is big variable and using only thin sheets of 304 may rise the steel to only somewhat inferior to 440A. Sure that this kind of SS is very stainless and keeps shining but as a using blade it is poor choise. I hope that CRK would use Damasteel SS damascus. Damasteel patterns may not be as precise as Devins but that is real steel that can take and hold edge. Damasteel is also cheaper than Devins SS Dam.

My thoughts exactly. In fact I went ahead and email Bridget at CR knives about it yesterday. Got one back saying in fact "yes", they are now offering the Devon Thomas version now but will be getting other types in coming months. She asked if I had a preference of other stainless Damascus's and if I could wait a while, I could choose the type. I then replied stating my want for Micheal Walker's Damasteel. Great stuff! I haven't heard back as of yet from CR. But I'm sure they are aware of the price difference and such. Can't wait till the new Damascus comes in! :)

Back