Stainless Damascus

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Macster, May 26, 2007.

1. Macster

Macster

May 10, 2007
    I'd like to hear some comments on how Stainless Damascus would work in a limited Saltwater environment. I fish in an area 60 miles Southwest of Key West Florida about three or four times a year. I am usually out 2-3 days at a time and have access to fresh water for rinsing and cleaning. Assuming I can keep the knife fairly clean how do you think Damascus Stainless would hold up in this scenario? I appreciate all comments.

Mac

2. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    I think you would be better off with something from the Spyderco Salt Series; where the knives are all made of H1. It will not rust. Or get your self a titanium bladed knife.

Why ruin a Damascus blade? My $.02.

3. Jared Stenoien

Jared Stenoien

Dec 4, 2005
    I second the H1 part, titanium blades suck IMHO though

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall

Jun 23, 2000
    I third the H1 part. :D

5. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    Is this a knife that you already have, or are you thinking of purchasing it? What knife is it? What stainless pattern welded steel will the blade be made from?

I don't know if saltwater would affect the etch, but the steel should hold up well as long as it is thoroughly cleaned, rinsed and dried after use. Fairly clean probably won't be good enough.

6. Macster

Macster

May 10, 2007
    Keith,

This is a knife I am considering investing in. I don't have any experience with Damascus and just found out that it is available as a Stainless. Pattern, size won't be determined until I am comfortable that this is all feasible.

7. spyken

spyken Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2002
    it would rust, sooner or later. don't do it. The Knife Collector said it best...try H1 by Spyderco.