Stainless for oceanside

What would be one of the best stainless blade steels for the ocean and its' environment? Looking for 3/32" and 1/8" stock. Thanks.

Hi John

I'm not sure what the "best" would be, but some very good ones are CPM 154(;)), 154CM, ATS34, CPM S30V, CPM S90V and the good old standby 440C.

All of the above mentioned stainless blade steels, (along with some that aren't mentioned), have very good corrosion resistance. I have zero first hand experience when it comes to actual salt water testing, so take this answer to your question "with a grain of ..... errr ....." lets just say...... ymmv ;) :D

I made some large fillet knives from 3/32" 154 CM for three people in SE Alaska last year and they were happy with them. No complaints on rusting, but they were experienced fishermen.

I just completed a dive knife of 440c, I will be out this weekend and will give you a report. The primary issue is care for the knife after use in salt water. If you do not clean and put it away there will be damage. Wash well, spray with WD40 and do not store in sheath. I wrap is a lightly oiled rag and they will last forever.

I'm a sea kayaker and I got into knife making because I wasn't satisfied with the available production knives in a marine environment. I have used both 440C and CPM 154, and both have held up well in the marine environment. But Patrickknives advice on care is right on: any stainless steel will corrode to some extent without care. Stainless is just has better resistance than non-stainless.

Phil Millam
Winthrop WA

Stellite 6k, as well as Talonite will do great for a non ferrous alternative. there Cobalt alloys and lemme tell ya living less than 10 miles from a Haynes/Stellite plant that stuff is HARD to work.(I occasionally come by it :D) Alpha Knife Supply sells Talonite. Carbide is is the only thing that will drill it, and also use a ceramic belt if your gonna make one yourself. but it'll never rust cause there isnt any Iron in it!

Here is the diving knive I am taking out on a kayak trip this weekend. Its 3/16 440c with a micarta handle and kydex sheath. I have straps for leg mount as well. This was a prototype and I am not happy with the grind. The saw works well but the angle on the line cutter may be too shallow, cuts ok but not great. Full hidden tang with a bolt welded to the blade and the butt cap is screwed on.

hawaii012.jpg

hawaii013.jpg

hawaii014.jpg

hawaii015.jpg

hawaii016.jpg

Back