stainless or unusual models made over the years

The Mastiff

Gold Member
I recall a catalog I received long ago that had two or three Trailmaster bowies in Aus 10 stainless that Cold Steel was selling off as collector models from a run made for testing.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these, or any other rare unusual models made over the years. Were there other rare models made and if so in what steels, number made , etc.

Is there anywhere these are listed, reviewed, or tested?

I would have loved to grab the one I saw in the catalog but back then ( 90"s ?) the asking price of $300 something was out of my reach. I recognized the rarity and was intrigued though and often wondered what became of them, and what others came up over the years.

Thanks,

Joe

There are some knives listed in our catalog archive, which you can view here
Many more limited runs were featured in our Special Projects catalog over the years but there isn't an online archive of all of those. It's something we've talked about archiving and digitizing but it would be a big project. Maybe something for the future...

Yes, the Aus 10 Trailmasters were in a Special Projects catalog but I sure don't recall the year. I know it was before the Camillus closing and change to SK-5 on the trailmasters.

I have a triple action in Aus 10 also. I have a few other knives in other brands in that steel and I like it better than 440C. It's a bit tougher and has a better grain structure IMO.

Thanks,

If anyone has one of these please let us know how they worked out.

Joe

i have 2 atc khukuris in stainless if that counts.

I don't see why it wouldn't nagod. Do you recall what steel?

Didn't they make Carbon V Khuks? Seems like I remember buying one. It was inexpensive but unsharpened. My memory could be failing though.

Joe

I have one of the special run trailmasters I bought back in the 90's.
It is sharpened with the convex edge, so it holds it well. Still razor sharp. Ive only cut a few saplings and rope with it. Although when I found out these were limited it became a safe queen. I was fortunate enough to be working in a gun shop that was a CS dealer at the time and we got everything 10% over cost so I got a great deal on this knife back then.

I don't see why it wouldn't nagod. Do you recall what steel?

Didn't they make Carbon V Khuks? Seems like I remember buying one. It was inexpensive but unsharpened. My memory could be failing though.

Joe

Yes, I have one. Mine was sharp when I got it, Unlike the khukri machete I got. Was it atc or ltc? I knew it was something along those lines but I don't remember.

Are you talking about a stainless model in Aus 10 steel ?

Yep, Although, there has been discussion on the CS Forum where there are some beliefs that the steel could be Aus 6, Aus 8, or Aus 10 do to catalog misprints. The box was only marked AUS Stainless.

Yep, Although, there has been discussion on the CS Forum where there are some beliefs that the steel could be Aus 6, Aus 8, or Aus 10 do to catalog misprints. The box was only marked AUS Stainless.

I couldn't answer that. All I know is that for many years I wondered what happened to the 3 I saw advertised in a Special Projects catalog. They gave a small paragraph or two about how the steel ( Aus 10) had performed well, but..... I don't remember enough to write it here where someone will take it as fact. I do know I was curious as I knew what Aus 10 was, and I like it better than 440C. I have a A.G.Russell fixed blade made of this steel, and several Junglees, and even a Spyderco Native in Aus 10.

I generally like Tool steels for large fixed blades but I was and still am curious about it's performance in a knife whose other steels ( Carbon V, and now Sk-5 ) are so well known in a comparison like testing. With the price they were sold at and the limited quantity they were and probably will pretty much be collectors pieces more than mule testers.

Joe

Back