stainless steel canteens

I'd stick with the wraps made from polyethlyene and avoid the PVC wraps. Too much potential for toxic stuff coming out of PVC, especially if it burns.
Valid consideration there! So stretch wrap is PVC? I know theres bad stuff in PVC. I used to work at a plastics manufacturer where they had to send product over to Taiwan to complete a certain stage of the manufacturing because it was highly carcingenic and illegal to do it in the US. The part where it liberated ethelyne dichloride to make polyvinyl chloride. Taiwan would send it back to us after the dangerous part was done then we would thermoform it into PVC pipe etc. You could leagally thermoform PVC here in the US but you couldnt legally heat it to melt temp because of the EDC. So overheating it would definitely dissolve edc gas into the water your drinking:eek: Scratch that idea then! Thanks Steve! It does make good fire starter tho.

Burning PVC (stretch wrap, pipe, etc.) in an open fire would create dioxins and furans (and other nasty stuff). Please don't do it!

Oh I dont mean as in burning it to start a fire. I mean using it to contain water to make a magnifying glass to start a fire. Guess I worded that incorrectly. No way id use it for kindle! Thank for clarifying that Steve. ooops:foot:

Lol, the carrier for the cylindrical canteen is a condor molle bag. Very nice. I ordered the same type of bag for the military style, "tactical..." forgot name and make, but I hope its as nice as the condors. I dont know about a vest, I always liked out belt/harness system. But I dont know if they've improved. Im going to check out the condor line, it seems lkke good quality

I find that a vest even when fitting perfectly still tends to hamper me from free movement more than a Belt/LBE system. Now if it is a plate carrier and the mission warrents armor, that is different, I find the trade off for the plates worth the lack of motion. But if it is just bugout gear, I really don't care for vests. Though they make different things because of different tasks and different people's preference so whatever you prefer for the task at hand.

Some great ideas here. I am glad to hear people still carry water purification tabs instead of just relying on filters. My filter has clogged up so bad in the past as to be useless and you need water. I always carry purification tablets as well as a filter. Unfortunately,cryptosporidium is getting pretty aggressive and practically immune to chlorine and neither tabs or filters can eliminate viruses (you can actually get Hepatitus from some watersources in Mexico) . I am now evaluating the SteriPEN and Katidyn UV style treatment for replacement for the tabs. Anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited:
I find that a vest even when fitting perfectly still tends to hamper me from free movement more than a Belt/LBE system. Now if it is a plate carrier and the mission warrents armor, that is different, I find the trade off for the plates worth the lack of motion. But if it is just bugout gear, I really don't care for vests. Though they make different things because of different tasks and different people's preference so whatever you prefer for the task at hand.

Some great ideas here. I am glad to hear people still carry water purification tabs instead of just relying on filters. My filter has clogged up so bad in the past as to be useless and you need water. I always carry purification tablets as well as a filter. Unfortunately,cryptosporidium is getting pretty aggressive and practically immune to chlorine and neither tabs or filters can eliminate viruses (you can actually get Hepatitus from some watersources in Mexico) . I am now evaluating the SteriPEN and Katidyn UV style treatment for replacement for the tabs. Anyone have any experience with them?

I have no experience with the UV treatments, but I do carry these purification tablets, and they seem to work wonderfully, Taharmayim - Israeli Water Purification Tablets. (Though it sounds similar to chlorine it’s chemistry is different making it more effective than household bleach for removing viruses, bacteria, Giardia and unlike iodine, Cryptosporidium as well.)

Last edited:
I always use a zero water ion exchange filter and UV steripen in India. One gets out chemicals the other kills the bugs. Never had stomach problems. However I might have not gotten any without being so paranoid. No way of telling without a proper experiment.

Germs can be killed by boiling, most dangerous germs actually die long before the water boils.

Chemicals however? Chromium, Pesticides, Pharmaceutical residues, or even Radioactive isotopes from an all natural mountain spring?
Normal camping filters dont get them out in significanz percentages. Reverse osmosis or ion exchange is the way to go. Nowadays they are quite portable.

Berkley is the only ones I know that are rated so high, but I only know the big ones. I may use a few of the life straws too.....but $20 per. Just as an added level if possibilities. The Israeli tabs sound good.

I got my kukri back from the cerakote. Magpul dark earth = a little darker than tan. Know to n make a sheath to attack it to my backpack. Little 4" CS master hunter is nice, looks black but in the sun it comes to life. Now I can carry high carbon and not worry.

I have no experience with the UV treatments, but I do carry these purification tablets, and they seem to work wonderfully, Taharmayim - Israeli Water Purification Tablets. (Though it sounds similar to chlorine it’s chemistry is different making it more effective than household bleach for removing viruses, bacteria, Giardia and unlike iodine, Cryptosporidium as well.)

I forgot, I use this portable filtration system when traveling abroad, and keep one in each of my B.O.B.s., they're only about $20. No filter to clean or remove, when the filter starts to slow down, just backwash, use once/twice, let dry, and its as good as new. Treats up to 100,000 gallons

Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
The Sawyer Mini is ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness

High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)

Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source

Removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa

Sawyer's certified 0.1 micron absolute filter removes bacteria and protozoa at a higher rate than accepted EPA guidelines

The Sawyer Mini Water Filter is a second generation filter that is the lightest and most versatile personal filtration system from Sawyer. With a total field weight of 2 ounces it fits in the palm of your hand. This tiny filter does the same job that the Sawyer Point ONE filter does but now in a more compact, personal size. Filtering up to 100,000 gallons of water, this may be the last water filter that you buy. The Sawyer Mini filter is perfect for everything from camping with the kids to traveling abroad where tap and bottle water cannot be trusted. The filter removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria (like salmonella) as well as other harmful bacteria which causes cholera and E. coli and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa such as giardia and cryptosporidium. These removal rates equal or exceed other filter options. EPA guidelines allow ten times more protozoa left in the water than Sawyer Point ONE filters allow.

I will check those out Cul both tabs and the Sawyers. Jens, Great info I will add Ion exchange to the list to research Thanks, RevOs is not really backpacking compact yet in any of the stuff I am finding. Maybe I am not looking at the right stuff but if I find more info I will keep it in mind.

Hawk, glad to hear the Cerakote came out well. You need pics so we can all check out the results sounds great :)

The sawyer sounds nice and compact too. $20 isnt bad either. I think the chlorine tabs have their place too, just so compact and easy to leave in the side pocket of my canteens. But its funny, at home we use a huge filter with a big ceramic disc on top to remove chlorine and mult bad things that could show up in our city water......yeah, the have a "water reclamation" facility......never know when they spill a bit or the fing opens the wrong pipe. A step down from the Berkley, you need potable water. So drinking the chlorine water is a bit odd for me. Of course it would only be emergencies, but if those sawyer's are small enough to add to my canteen kits, it would be a strong combo. Hit them with chlorine and then the sawyer to remove it and anything else that may still be there. The size of the life straw is appealing that way. But id rather get one thats been used/tested by someone who's not being paid to write good things

Thanks for the info/help. Now I need to find someplace local that sells 4 boots. Its mainly urban here, ocean on one side and a swampy mess on the other......flat lands. Both Nike ........ok ill save it for another post.

Pics will follow, the ones I have dont do the knives justice. OH yeah, I almost forgot. Considering making some leather sheaths for these 3 villagers that I have..... handles are reshaped and ready for tung oil finish on 2. Retention seems to be an issue on most of the ones ive seen. So, why not cut the leather out a bit where the hoof mark is on the edge, use leather strips or string sewn into the opposite side to wrap. Adjust the cutouts so the entire hoof mark is exposed. Well, im going to try it out, just have to see how much scrap I have around.......or things I can scrap...hahahahahahahah.

One of the main problems with using iodine or chlorine is the taste they give the water. If using iodine, one effective method for reducing the taste of the iodine is to add vitamin C to neutralize it, but only after the treatment itself has been completed. The chlorine, well I have always carried a baggie full of Tang with my water bottles because I hate the taste of iodine/chlorinated water :D I don't mix it full strength like making Tang for breakfast, just enough to hide the flavor of the treatment.

Sounds like time to go crazy with some leather and see what happens. Me, I wind up glueing my forehead to my forearm and the leather to the table. Hopefully you will get better results :D Let us see what turns out.

Back