stainless vs high carbon

randall forumites (both of you, jk)

too bad i won't get my 14 until 2003, BUT i was wondeirng if anyone can give me any background on the comaprison of the blade steels. I hear that the current 14 stainless is 440c, which is actually pretty good. I was thinking that their stainless was more comparable to some of the other stuff out there(harder for sharpening, doesn't hold too well). I went with the regular steel, but i'm going to switch the order. is there any chance that they'll change the steel type before 2003? maybe, but what alternatives might be used? i know ats-34 is now being used for some of their smaller blades.

toast

BTW - this forum is a godsend.

Call me a forumite will you. I guess that's a good thing. ATS 34 by 2003 is a possibility. I will ask Gary about that and get back to you. The Randall shop does take a lot of pride in their forged blades though. //// Rhett

My first Randalls (A 14 with 1/4 tang and fingergrooves) was a stainless, but my next, which will be either a Confederate Bowie or the Smithsonian, still haven't made up my mind yet will definitely be carbon.

If it stains, I don't care, I find that a little "patina" gives a blade character.

A little TLC and PM, and it will serve me just fine. I guess I'd rather put the effort into blade maintenance than putting it into sharpening. (A good edge was always problematic with my 14.)

ken,

actually, that's a great point on the sharpening, that's my primary concern with the stainless. i assume that that's the 440c too. my ats-34 blades are relatively easy to hone, with minimal maintenance. I'm not one to baby my gear, i spend money up front because it will look good and last from day one until day one million. i actually don't like the fact that CR one-pieces require periodic touch ups, but i guess it sits for a while. a buddy of mine got an 18 in stainless, but he won't have to worry about it when he's out backpacking or camping. i want my knife to be ready when i draw it and not really have to worry too much about it in-between. oh well. thanks for the responses guys...

toast

Back