Stang Bladeworks Framelock Info

Just listed one in the for sale area. I added internal milling and contoured more aggressively. I changed the lockbar relief to the external side of the scale. I was able to get the weight down to 5.1oz. If anyone has any feedback based on this latest version i would appreciate it, thanks.
20191108_174304.jpg

Just sold another one. I am very happy with how these are turning out. Both of the ones sold so far have weight reduction pockets milled into the show side as well as more agressive contouring. The lockbar relief is now external to facilitate the contouring and they have detent ramps to make closing easier. If you have any input please chime in.
20191110_201024.jpg 20191110_201102.jpg

Reactions: HWF
Also im not sure if anyone cares but i have switched to freehand grinding these. I have found that I am getting better results that way. I may switch back and forth but these have been done freehand.

Reactions: HWF
These are looking great. Cant wait to see them with the finished grind.
Are the scales on these ones less contoured that the one you showed above (Nov 10th) or is it just the angle of the pictures?

They are the same. The ti is .156" and they are contoured to about .095" at the lowest point. I dont want to go too thin to ensure that it is still comfortable during hard cutting.

Just a couple pet peeves of mine of some makers.
  1. Milling out material for saving weight w/o thought of balancing the weight.
  2. A blade deployment hole/slot that doesn't work.
  3. No blade ramp. (only if needed)
  4. Frame/scales that are slippery.
Side note: Holt gets there blades by contracting a water jet co. & commented that doing them in house would not only take a long time to recoup the investment, but take away from the design time of the knife.

Seems you've got a very good head start & really check alot of the boxes. Good luck!

Just a couple pet peeves of mine of some makers.
  1. Milling out material for saving weight w/o thought of balancing the weight.
  2. A blade deployment hole/slot that doesn't work.
  3. No blade ramp. (only if needed)
  4. Frame/scales that are slippery.
Side note: Holt gets there blades by contracting a water jet co. & commented that doing them in house would not only take a long time to recoup the investment, but take away from the design time of the knife.

Seems you've got a very good head start & really check alot of the boxes. Good luck!
Thanks, I do get some basic waterjetting done but my place isnt quite accurate enough to place everything. I mostly just use it so I dont need to bandsaw out all my titanium. I am always looking for ways to be more efficient and maintain the quality I want.

Looks great. As I mentioned to you before I'm also a Canadian and Im excited to see new knife makers on our side of the border. When will I be able to look into buying one of theres? Trevor

Looks great. As I mentioned to you before I'm also a Canadian and Im excited to see new knife makers on our side of the border. When will I be able to look into buying one of theres? Trevor
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for looking. Basically I am doing runs of 5 right now. I plan to do each run with a common theme so I can always try something new. The next run is 100% spoken for already but I have a couple spots available on the following run. I never take deposits up front or ever for that matter. When the knife is ready for customization I will message the people on my list in order. At that time I will customize it within a set of parameters and send pics for approval. If your time comes and you don't want the knife its no problem, I just move down the list. When someone is on the list it gives right of first refusal. If you are interested feel free to comment below, DM me, or shoot me an email (stangbladeworks@gmail.com). I am not 100% sure of the exact configuration of the knives this far in advance. I work full time which can make things a bit slow. I usually work at least 50 hours per week out of town so weekends are my only real shop time. If you have any questions let me know.

Back