Starmate's false edge (swedge?)

Has anyone come across any starmates with unevenly ground false edges? I traded off a 710 Axis-Lock for one (and haven't looked back!!!) but I realized almost immediately that the swedge(???) is ground off center - too shallow on the clip side or too deep on the emblem side (I can't tell which).

This really surprised me given Spyderco's reputation for industry leading fit and finish. Doesn't stop it from being my new favorite knife though.
biggrin.gif

Jon

Mine's ok, I also looked at two others that were in stock at the time I bought mine, they were ok, too.

My newest plain edge has the same thing. Doesn't worry me though. I bought it as a user and it would bother me only if it was uneven on the sharpened side!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Hello forum, a new member is born!
smile.gif

The false edges on my starmate were also ground uneven. And the liner was not very sturdy, too. I sold it, althought I loved that edge...

------------------
Dussel

My StarMate, #708, has absolutely even grinds. Dussel, what do you mean by weak liner? The liner is not about to collapse and let the blade fold up on you, so what is the problem?

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Hi Fuller,

no, the blade did not close on my fingers, it just showed little vertical play.
The liner moved down the tang ramp a bit when I put pressure on the blade from above.

I readjusted the pivot, but that did not help. I'm sure it could have been fixed by Spyderco, but my brother wanted to buy it althought I told him about, so it's gone.

I just did not trust that lock enough to keep the knife for self defense purpose. Could'nt compare to different Starmate, so I don't know, if the problem occurs on others too...

------------------
Dussel

Dussel, thanks, now I understand. StarMates and Militaries come with an eccentric pivot that can be adjusted to take up the "slack" in the liner to tang fit to keep the lock nice and tight. This should only be done by the Spyderco factory, according to Sal Glesser, the man in charge. I don't know what, if any, arrangements he has for this being done in Europe, but I recommend that you or your brother have it done as it will make all the difference in the world to the tightness of the lock on the StarMate or on a Military.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Thought I know my Starmate as good as my pocket but just in case I checked it once more when I have read this thread.
Mine # 702 is OK.

------------------
Sergiusz Mitin
gunwriter
Lodz, Poland

Back