Starting a 100% Made in USA Production Cooking Knife Company - Would Love some Feedback

What is your prefered handle material?

• Stabilized Wood

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • G10

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Micarta (linen)

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Micarta (paper)

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Richlite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thank you S Spideyjg - that's the focus. I'm working with a 3D CAD shop and a large EDC/Tactical co has agreed to help me with my handle designs.
I am not being sarcastic when I tell you to let your HAND do the handle design. I went through that this weekend and finally realized why one particular maker of kitchen knives included a feature that looked as decorative as functional if not more so. I discovered this feel thing early on with handles done In the style of the Bill Moran. I could tell just by feel where that next tiny bit of hand sanding had to be done.

You need to grip thousands of blades to start seeing what you think will work. Ergonomic humps are love or hate. Wusthof Ikon, Henckles 5 star, Chicago Cutlery AC or BioCurve line all leave me flat. F Dick Premier is perfect for me.

Bubba knives for fishermen have very ingenious tidbits for that task on sub par steel, Buck molded handle fillets rock for that task.

One person may love it while the next person will hate it.

Jim

I think that HATE would describe how most on here feel about the Bubba blade line. :D I someone is starting from scratch and has CNC capability, why even bother to look at mid range factory blades? Look at high quality custom blades and see what you can adapt within the restrictions imposed by manufacturing methods and price point. A good example of this working would be the Kramer essential line. It does not have the best F&F compared to customs or even the higher end carbon steel Zwilling Kramers, but it still has a Kramer handle.
You need to grip thousands of blades to start seeing what you think will work. Ergonomic humps are love or hate. Wusthof Ikon, Henckles 5 star, Chicago Cutlery AC or BioCurve line all leave me flat. F Dick Premier is perfect for me.

Bubba knives for fishermen have very ingenious tidbits for that task on sub par steel, Buck molded handle fillets rock for that task.

One person may love it while the next person will hate it.

Jim

Very understandable on the Bubba line. Many fishermen like the handle but are unimpressed with the knife overall. Cut many a fish myself and can see some strong traits in the handle but the steel is meh.

It is all the little things that stack up on handles IMO. Take a Wusthof Classic, Henckles Pro S, and Messermeister Elite.
Look almost identical on the handle but for me Messermeister is the best in the handle design.

My favorite kitchen knife handles are a 10" 70's Dexter and a Robinson 8"

Jim

The OP remarked that he was conferng with a major tactical knife manufacturer regarding handle design. My question is who makes tactical kitchen gloves to protect you from the jimping?

I recently got a line of knives that have G10 handles and I really enjoy them. I would like to see micarta and G10 personally. I'm curious what steel is going to be used?

I recently got a line of knives that have G10 handles and I really enjoy them. I would like to see micarta and G10 personally. I'm curious what steel is going to be used?
BMCGear BMCGear , it's a high-end PM steel. That's all I'm saying for now because I want to run a fairly comprehensive experiment to determine what's "best" for different sub-groups. Ex: a chef who sharpens on whetstones may need something with a bit less wear resistance like CPM154, but a home cook who is doing 2hrs of cooking a week with minimal amount of dense vegetables could use something like M390 and throw it on a Ken Onion Work Sharp once every 6 months. Don't have a firm answer just yet, but I do have a view on what will wind up working best for the largest # of people in a cooking setting and there is a good chance it will do really well for professionals and home cooks. Hope that gives you a sense for the way I'm thinking about it.

I am not being sarcastic when I tell you to let your HAND do the handle design. I went through that this weekend and finally realized why one particular maker of kitchen knives included a feature that looked as decorative as functional if not more so. I discovered this feel thing early on with handles done In the style of the Bill Moran. I could tell just by feel where that next tiny bit of hand sanding had to be done.
jdm61 jdm61 , I'll be at Blade Show and what you describe is one of the things I plan to learn about.

Good luck on your endeavor. To set yourself apart, a few thoughts:
  1. To me the feel in your hand is as important as the steel. It is like a good fitting shoe. Since you are using CNC you should strive for a method to semi-custom machine your handle to fit my hand.
  2. Handle warmth and fit are extremely important - I like non slippery wood
  3. Do not think that you can solve edge retention, consider shipping a ceramic edge tuner with every blade and offer free lifetime sharpening. Everyone loves a freebie and those customers will be repeats and your best marketeers.
  4. Consider non-serrated steak knives - I love them and 2 strokes per side on a ceramic rod cleans them up every time
  5. Do not underestimate the importance of high quality heat treatments incl. nitro - get a pro like Peters to do it, everyone says they can do it but environmental controls are everything
  6. Never send out a knife that has not been inspected under magnification - your best customers are picky yet loyal but its all about transparency, trust and confidence; Especially if I am going to buy a knife which I have never held in my hand
  7. Manage your own expectations on what is possible and how much $$ you are willing to lose upfront while you establish your customer base
  8. Find a mentor who has done this before and is willing to share knowledge, again do not underestimate what it is going to take to truly make a living out of doing this
  9. You are up against major competition, will need to find your nitch, determine who your customers are and make clear the value you bring them
  10. Get someone to handle the phones - custom makers are famous for never answering the phone
  11. Consider offering 2 steels - carbon 52100 and stainless AEB-L (or Nitro-V), call NJ Steel Baron and talk to Aldo about you needs and specs
  12. Read Verhoeven's works on Knife Metallurgy and Sharpening - great stuff on what works
R readheads - I'm finishing up Verhoeven's paper on Sharpening. Thank you so much for that suggestion. Pairs really well w/ The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening by Juranitch, Verhoeven mentions quite extensively. Love the scientific details from the Mat Sci professor though.

P.S. any other suggestions re: reading materials? Would love to catch up over e-mail at some point. I'm david@artisanrevere.com

I wish chefs and such would spend time watching an experienced butcher use a boning knife . He will not just think of the 'pinch grip' but many ways the boning knife is used .Edge up , down or to the side . Point forward or backward . chop , forward or backward slice . When you do all that you realize that fancy curved handles , finger grooves are not needed or wanted . And it's got to fit YOU and have good balance . When you learn all that you can work easily all day without stress and then we can talk about metallurgy !

mete mete , that's an AMAZING suggestion. The timing of your comment is serendipitous, because I'm heading to the butcher near my place tonight to pick up some meat. I'll ask them to give me some lessons. Maybe they'll become a custie. P.S. take a look at my Insta if you're interested in watching the journey of this biz --ArtisanRevere.

After watching a butcher do it , get yourself a deer or calf , a 4-4.5"knife, a slicer 10" , a saw 18" and completely disassemble the carcass. After a few times you'll start to learn !!

If I bought a knife listed as 100% made in USA I would expect it to be made with made in USA materials.
Rosewoods make a great handle but they are all cities listed now so watch where you ship

Back