1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Starting a Batch of AEB-L

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Oct 16, 2016.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    The four on the left are .118" and the two on the right are .078"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    With my size SM hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  3. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    ...and then there were 10. 10 seems like a good number for cost-effectiveness of heat treat (out-sourced to Bos. Maybe Peters this time).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Starting on the left:

#1, I love kepharts, by the way. I first got my hands on one a couple of years ago, and I immediately knew it was comfortable and versatile.

#2, 3 I designed for backpacking - the light kind, although not ultralight.

#4, not sure what I was thinking. Just doodling with pencil and paper and that was what I came up with.

#5, 6 basic drop-points are always popular.

#7, 8 it's complicated.

#9 could have given it a longer blade, but I am sure it will still be useful.

#10 love it. Not sure why, just love it. Small, light, good for lots of tasks.

6. aufevermike

aufevermike

Aug 14, 2005
    will that kephart be up for sale in the near future?

7. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I'm going to say four months before any of these are up for sale. I don't make knives full-time. I do a hour in the evening, maybe a little more on a Saturday or Sunday. It can take a while.

Thank you for asking.

8. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    My Kep[/hart pattern, in straight-grain walnut and brass pins:

[​IMG]

My drop point pattern in mixed handle materials: olive drab micarta, yellow g10, carbon fiber pins:

[​IMG]

9. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Made some progress with the bevels.

[​IMG]

10. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Started beveling the second drop-point. I do it by hand on a filing jig, with a magicut file. I will probably follow up with an 8" single cut file for draw filing, then start hand sanding at 80 grit.

[​IMG]

I may have mentioned, but my only grinder is the 2X42 - a beast I have not tamed. I just use it to take off a little material before going to the Magicut. I also use it to lighten up the handles, like you see here. Never tried making a tapered tang with that thing.

11. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    These three are ready to send to Paul Bos. I also have three others that are close to being ready for heat treatment.

[​IMG]

12. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Very happy I decided to go through some of the "more recent" threads in this sub forum... you have been making some awesome posts and progress, redsquid. Big motivation :)

13. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I have finished two of these:

A small B & T

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A hunter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the sheath for the hunter:

[​IMG]

14. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    HUGE fan of the bird and trout! Why did you decide to run the edge into the plunge grind instead of filing a sharpening choil on that one?

15. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I prefer not to have a choil. It might be easier to sharpen with a choil, but, two reasons: 1. I think it looks better without it, and 2. I don't like the way rope/cord will get snagged in a choil.

On that other one, I made a choil to cover up a mistake I had made in my grinding right there at the plunge.

16. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    Good to know, funny story on the other one :p

Thank you sir

17. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Finished another one. Drop point in AEB-L
    Blade: 4 1/4"
    OAL: 8 1/2"
    Thickness: .118"
    HT: Paul Bos for 61 RC.
    Handle: natural hard maple, G Flex, corby screws, Tru Oil finish.

I need to find better light for taking pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  18. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I'm calling this pattern the hedgehog. Perfectly good knife - useful. Just didn't get the pins exactly where I wanted them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  19. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo

Sep 29, 2015
    I like the brass on orange. Cool pattern!

20. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011