Starting a knife dealership in Colorado

What must be done to start a knife dealership in Colorado? Just start a business, get a tax license, and call on manufacturers? I'm quite serious about getting this going, so any help would be appreciated! Basically, what counsel can be given to a starter-upper? Thanks, Jason

shootist16

knife law moderator
good question. I would suggest contacting the local city or county that you will be operating in. They will advise you how to obtain a business license for the area. I would also contact some knife distributors like Matthews and Blueridge as well as contacting some of the knife companies about purchasing knives as a dealer.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Thanks. I've also observed that dealers around here are all stores. Do you think it is a bad idea to start the business without a store? I'm thinking internet presence, word or mouth, shows, etc.. If it makes sense later, I would be serious about a store front as well. Any thoughts?

Oh, also, what about insurance? Is a particular type of insurance mandatory to sell knives? Basically, there are no informational books of web sites I know of to answer the specifics of selling knives, so I'm trying to anticipate this now. What else am I overlooking?

I'm already pretty informed about the actual process to start a business and get a tax id. It's the peculiars about knives that I'm concerned about.

shootist16

knife law moderator
One of the great things about the internet is it allows people to open shop without a storefront, startup is relatively inexpensive, and you can reach more customers. It wouldn't bother me in the least to not have a storefront.

I am really not sure about insurance. Is there a certain kind you think you may need?

------------------
Dennis Bible

Well, I just figured that because the industry is related to potential weapon use, that there would be insurance needs to protect me against wrong-doers who purchase through my company, etc...

shootist16

knife law moderator
I am going to move this topic to the general forum where I believe it would get more responses.

------------------
mylogo.gif