Starting to really like ZDP-189

I've had a caly 3 CF for maybe 4 years now, and carried it but was never really happy with the cutting performance as far as sharpness is concerned. I recently got into stropping, so after a quick sharpening on the sharpmaker i stropped the edge which took off the burr, and holy crap it's sharp. It came from the factory with a somewhat blunt tip, so i fixed that as well. It's been in my pocket a week and its great. It bumped my lg seb 21 cf out for now.

ZDP is known for getting nice and sharp. I have a nice lineup of ZDP becuase of its edge holding and sharpness. It did take a good while to sharpen on the sharpmaker without the diamond rods, but I don't really care because after you put the love (work) into the edge it will really hold it. I currently have the Caly 3 CF, Stratch, D-fly, and Endura in ZDP; and wanting the Manbug for Christmas. Really amazing what a top grade steel you can get in such afordable packages from spyderco.

ZDP is an amazing steel and I've got five or six knives in the steel. It takes a little work the first time you reprofile it. It isn't more difficult, necessarily, but it does take a lot longer. After getting it sharp, it is a good idea to touch it up regularly. Having to reprofile it is a pain and it is easier to just keep it honed up.

Also, ZDP-189 tends to chip rather than deform at the edge, so it can keep a relatively sharp edge for a long time. Great steel.

TedP

I love ZDP-189, but word to the wise use it with care if you hit it on a hard substance like bone and you risk the edge chipping.

I love ZDP-189, but word to the wise use it with care if you hit it on a hard substance like bone and you risk the edge chipping.

Yup. I hit a staple on accident on my Caly 3 and it chipped rather than rolled like S30V.

Does having diamond rods for the Sharpmaker help make it significantly easier (or less time) to sharpen ZDP up to a good working edge? I tried to sharpen my buddies BRG Delica on the medium rods and after 20 minutes of work it felt like I didn't make a dent. It seemed marginally sharper but no significant difference. I didn't have a marker to test to see if I was actually hitting the edge, but the bevel didn't look wide to the naked eye.

Diamond rods will help.

Some say they are required. I find this to be (almost) true.

It takes some time and patience to reprofile with ceramic stones, but it can be done. Luckily the factory edge on most all spyderco ZDP is 30 degrees or less at the edge so its ready for the sharpmaker when it arrives.

my cf stretch was the second ''good '' knife i bought in my life . its still my one of my favorites and gets carried all the time

I got an Endura SE ZDP-189 in 2008? for a fathers day present. I've touched it up 2 or 3 times, iirc, since then. Just got a FFL Endura ZDP-189 today from Cutlery Shoppe, me likey.

I have been carrying a ZDP manbug as an addition to my main. This little bug cuts like a beast. It is an amazing steel.

Back