State & Union Model 2

Love the lines, length, width, shape, material.
Ticks all the box's
Just no reviews on YouTube, here, other than this thread comments. I was looking at the hinderer Ranch Bowie but this knife just has nice features. Just wondering anyone think it's not a worthy competitor to other knives similar or just the price point.
Called the phone number to check availability, they seemed a little overwhelmed, maybe they are trying to get on thier feet from covid-19 shut down. Good looking knife

it's a limited run item and it's very well made -- it hasn't been well advertised on YouTube, et al, because the KaBar custom shop - State and Union Cutlery - isn't well known yet, and KaBar doesn't give away knives in trade for positive reviews.

I believe there are very few left of these - I'd guess less than 10. If I remember correctly we did send out a few for reviews, but strangely enough nothing ever came of it (funny how that happens - one of the reasons we have gotten away from sending product out for reviews over the years). I'd say the Hinderer Ranch Bowie is a fair comparison. Right now only our shipping department is working on site as it is the only part of our business that is considered an essential service. Some of us, such as myself, are working from home. If you call the regular customer service line you will get someone or if you email, but the specialty offshoots in our phone directory most likely will have delayed response times. If you place an order with us we are able to ship it usually within 48 hours.

Well, I did place my order last night. so hopefully it will be processed soon. It certainly looks very unique. Here in Texas we have no problem carrying a 6 inch legally. Yes the Ranch Bowie has good spec's, just seems to have a lot more handle than needed . The State and Union Model 2, looks like it can have different handle material made for it quite easily without much work. Never purchased from KaBar/State and Union before can't wait. Thanks

Also, Hard to find any images online other than the ones released by KaBar. I lightened up those so a bit more detail could be seen. Could very well be, a candidate for some Gnarly stag and a Paul Long, pouch style sheath. I will be checking online, and heading to the gun shows in the next few weeks looking for material. I'm liking the handle fastners too.

Last edited:
Received the Model 2 in good time, KaBar did a great job processing and getting it shipped.
The Model 2 is quite the Murdery knife as Nick Shabaz would probably describe it as but, this is out his realm and he'll never no how nice this knife is.

overall length, blade length is quite nice, the handle material canvas micarta feels good in hand ("ladies, you know the procedures") nice palm swell . Blade grind seems spot on, good job on finish and good symmetry and edge came sharp. Sheath is great also. And of course I stuck the knife tip into my finger pad while trying to locate the sheath opening while strapped to my belt,going to see if a tek lok style clip might allow me to cant the opening. Very nice job State & Union. Wishing all the best to the employees at Ka-Bar, Olean, NY. Keep crankin em out.

How about a few comparison mug shots

Last edited:
That is one fine looking blade. I never knew they had a custom shop? That's a great idea, especially based on them putting out this piece. Another win for Ka-Bar!

Went to the KaBar web page recently, and they have discontinued the Model 2. Looks like it is a collectors item now.
sure didn't stay in production long. Sad.

Those State & Union knives are always limited production runs. 200 ish pieces. The Becker one was 120 pieces.

Thanks for the info, just strange they dont have more product coming out of that shop.
I see they had a straight razor, gone before one could even think about getting one. now that you say S&U are very limited in production ill check back more often thanks

Bought this last year. Was chasing them online but kept selling out. Finally got one and it was delivered dull with rounded tip. Loose sheath. Disappointing. Had a buddy put a crazy sharp edge and tip on it now it’s one of my favorites. Super ergonomic and feels great.

Back