Status report

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
I'm handling a few different things right now.

Search engine issues: The forums apparently hit another disk space threshold which caused the Elasticsearch reindex to lock itself into read only mode, resulting in the lack of updates to the search for the past few days. I have a call into the hosting tech support to get the server disk space increased so that I can get this resolved.

So how on earth are we eating through so much disk space so fast? It seems like only yesterday I added 50gb to the server... in fact it was Feb! The answer is image attachments and proxying images. In an effort to speed up server response times we implemented image proxying which is where we pull images from non-trusted remote hosts and put them on the server.

That ate through most of the disk space added since Feb. In an effort to resolve this we've turned down the number of days of image storage for proxied images, and I'm going through and optimizing 250gb of images right now hoping to bring that down to a more managable 150 or so gb to give us breathing room. Once that's done I'll rebuild the Elasticsearch indexes and search should be working again.

Thanks for your patience!

Fixall

Comma’s are hard.
Platinum Member
I've got a Costco sized bottle of Excedrin Migraine on hand if it's needed...

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Hey folks!

So when drilling through the server issues it turns out that XF didn't have a functional quota system for image attachments & the like. There's one for the media gallery, but not one for the forums attachments themselves. As you can imagine, this is a bit of a problem with us filling up server space constantly.

I installed a software add-on that has set limits on how many attachments you can upload.
Gold members can upload 500 attachments for a total of 200mb of server space
Platinum can upload 1000 attachments with 500mb
Knifemakers can upload 1500 attachments with 750mb
Basic gets 20 / 2mb

If you go over your limits, you should investigate using a 3rd party image hosting solution like imgur or photobucket. Those who are already over their limits, don't worry, your current attachments won't be deleted.

If you don't know how to optimize your images to avoid burning through your space, check this thread out from yesterday with several apps that will help you reduce image size: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-when-posting-photos-from-your-phone.1871929/

We also have an image optimizer running in the background but it can only do so much.

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Hey folks!

So when drilling through the server issues it turns out that XF didn't have a functional quota system for image attachments & the like. There's one for the media gallery, but not one for the forums attachments themselves. As you can imagine, this is a bit of a problem with us filling up server space constantly.

I installed a software add-on that has set limits on how many attachments you can upload.
Gold members can upload 500 attachments for a total of 200mb of server space
Platinum can upload 1000 attachments with 500mb
Knifemakers can upload 1500 attachments with 750mb
Basic gets 20 / 2mb

If you go over your limits, you should investigate using a 3rd party image hosting solution like imgur or photobucket. Those who are already over their limits, don't worry, your current attachments won't be deleted.

If you don't know how to optimize your images to avoid burning through your space, check this thread out from yesterday with several apps that will help you reduce image size: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-when-posting-photos-from-your-phone.1871929/

We also have an image optimizer running in the background but it can only do so much.
Is there a way to see our % used? If not, when we go over will we get a clear notification (that won't be confused for something else, like a regular "image too large" message)?

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Guess there are 2 ways to check your image quota. Odd thing is that it says I have over 2000, yet it let me insert these.

Screenshot_20220514-143024_kindlephoto-59572610.png

Screenshot_20220514-143100_kindlephoto-59498430.png