Stealth Knife - Invisible and Deadly

This question is strictly for the X-Men. I mean the ex-commandos, ex-Navy Seals, ex-Delta Force, ex-Spetnaz, ex-Foreign Legionnaire and ex-bar-room brawler.
Somewhere from the dusky, dusty corners of my memory, I recall conversations that evolved around a topic about that ELUSIVE stealth knife.
Someone from my distant past mentioned that there really exists such a knife (in the hands of an expert) that seems to appear, from nowhere in a dangerous situation, in the hands of a man who looks very comfortable with it.
The knife, small but not tiny, seemed to have a life of its own in the palm of its owner. It stands erect with the flick of a finger or a thumb.
Is there a man out there who has handled such a knife? I understand hand-and-body movements with knife in hand is a practised art. It is a forbidden zone for most of us ordinary mortals.
Has any knife-maker out there ever made such a blade for THAT specific purpose? Is it possible it exists? Such a knife is believed to be an extension of a man's hand. It is usually made for a person who knows what he wants. The knife closes as smoothly and quietly as the fingers of a hand.
I was told that if an aggressor sees such a knife, he is usually about one inch or half inch away from danger. As slickly as it appears, it disappears into a pocket unknown to any stranger.
Who has seen such a blade? Who has handled one? I presume the blade and handle are also non-reflective.

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

Put away the dime novels, son. Weapons of this nature do exist, like the specialized and silent Welrod pistol. But if I want to kill you, I can use a sharpened piece of chrome to do it. Prisoners use whatever.
No question, people make specialized tools, like the La Grif and similar items. Heck, I once saw a Soviet umbrella that shot projectiles the size of a grain of rice that carried deadly and fatal bacteria.
I like the weaponry on 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer.'--OKG

Hi "Old Knife Guy",

I think with the "Rusian" umbrella with the deadly bacteria you mean the umbrella that "injected" a very tiny ball with even smaller little hole drilled in it filled with "ricine" a extremely toxic deadly plant poison that I reguarly used in extreme dillutions to get living cells mutating while I studied Biology.
This stuff kills in microgram doses.
I remember that in England (I think it was there) a so called dissident died from being stabbed and injected with the tiny ball with ricene and nobody first new what happened to him.

Merry Christmas and healthy New Year,

Bagheera

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bagheera (edited 12-22-2000).]

Hi OKG,
Nice hearing from you again. I was watching out for people like you who have been on the road and then some.
I have seen and met some of these "rough riders". Usually from the way they described their fights and the fighting tools they used, one can see they have been in the thick of things, as you have.
You are right, of course, on most counts. One hot, unfriendly night, near my office, a brawl broke out in one of the pubs. This guy just grabbed the glass beer mug and smashed it on his opponent's face. It wasn't a stealth knife but it was pretty fast and quiet too. It did maximum damage.
The rest of the "night squad" swiftly faded like mist in the morning sun.
I should tell you about the another incident when some nut actually produced a sword from nowhere. The guy who was on the receiving end didn't even know he got hit. He was wondering why he was sweating so profusely until someone told him it was his blood soaking his shirt.

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

I think people love to fantasize about super spy weapons. However, by the time the common man finds out about such gizmos, you can bet they are no longer state-of-the-art.
For example, about ten years ago, an F-117 crashed in rural Wisconsin. Within minutes, Huey gunships guarded the area. The farmer who owned the land couldn't even go home. A year later, F-117's were in the movies and on TV.
I think the poster just wants to have a bit of history, but reality is far less glamorous. In Saigon in the early sixties, guess what the most popular weapon was for spooks? The Walther PPK in 32 ACP. Good guys and bad guys used them. That part of the world had been in French possession; Walther does not make it own components, they are made by Manhurin, familiar to employees from France or Belgium. Parts were easy to get.
I like to walk through museums showing old weaponry--my usual first impression is that the guns are smaller, dirtier and simpler than on TV.--OKG

I had umbrella...lost it on a bus...didn't fire grains of rice though...does that count?

..golok..IN Nam, I was an x-man, as you put it. We were taught to use anything and everything as a weapon. I think what your reffering to are the WWII lapel and sleave daggers that were used for defenceand last ditch efforts by the OSS and other Blk OPS, agents....Ironhorse

To Ironhorse: I tried to think of the most bizarre incident in my life and the weirdest problem-solving application I used to prove your point.
I was putting my Harley away one afternoon, when out of nowhere, a Shepard/Labrador mix followed me into the garage, baring his fangs and spittle flying all over the place. I did NOT want to go mano-a-mano against the dog with a Buck 110.
Believe it or not, I had a can of Rustoleum on the window sill of the garage--with the lid rusted on tight. (Why I didn't throw it away, I'll never know.) I started barking, the dog stopped very confused, and I threw the can into the top of his head as hard as I could.
I reacted by insane adrenaline. I think it underscores your belief in combat instincts and ones' ability to think under duress. I just wish the story was more noble...--OKG

I hear you on the vicious dog, OKG. Our neighbors used to have a chou (ugly little chinese bulldog) that wasn't afraid of anything. It even faced down my friend's stepfather's car once, to the point where he was literally pushing it with his bumper. When I was about fifteen I was riding my bike down our road, and this dog came from out of nowhere (it was usually leashed), and got right in front of my bike, snarling and foaming at the mouth. I yelled "Out of my way motherf**ker" and that mutt turned tail and scooted. God I hated that dog. I think it was finally put down.

Golok - I think Ironhorse answered your question if that is the answer you're seeking. But for mere mortals like us, the closest "thing" your hand can reach is usually the best weapon. I don't think i can pull out my folder fast enough compared to a beer bottle next to me on the bar table.....Which brings me to this story. It is similar to your beer mug case but mine was a beer bottle. I was in "Emporium" disco one night when a white guy was disturbing a local's girl friend, the girl's guy just went up to him and whoop the white guy's head with a beer bottle! It's exactly what you see in movies except this time he bleed for real! It was SO fast that NO one had seen it coming! All he could do was scream and shouted that someone had attacked him......lesson learned.

Eric.

[This message has been edited by keninshiro (edited 12-22-2000).]

I had a similar experience with a VERY pissed
off dog, except I was carrying nothing useful
on my person and nothing nearby would help. I
had to resort to the old standby, namely "run
like hell" -- actually managed to out-run the
thing over about 20 feet, and dove over a low
fence just in time. This was an adult German
Shepard, and it was at my ankles by the time
I made that dive... getting the willies just
thinking about it.

T.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">that there really exists such a knife (in the hands of an expert) that seems to appear, from nowhere in a dangerous situation, in the hands of a man who looks very comfortable with it. The knife, small but not tiny, seemed to have a life of its own in the palm of its owner. It stands erect with the flick of a finger or a thumb.</font>

Sounds like a balisong to me. And yes, being ex-officio, I have handled a few.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

To Javahed:

I think you are catching on. Practise with anything long enough, it can become "part" of you, even a sharpened bamboo spike.

------------------

On the subject of specialized tools of "the trade." The father a fellow worker had been in the OSS during WWII. He left the son some of his gizmos. I recall him showing me a simple, robust and very crude stabbing weapon. It consisted of a cylindrical handle, which was nothing more than a steel tube, about 1/4" diamater, with a cap on the butt end. The blade was a sharpened steel rod which could slide in and out of the handle. On the side of the handle was lever which slid in a track. The blade could be drawn back against a powerful coil spring into the handle using the lever. For maximum effect, it was shoved against the target and a small trigger was pulled releasing the spring and sending the blade jamming into the recipient. As I recall the blade was about 6" long, certainly long enough to reach vital stuff. In addition the spring felt strong enough to run that thing into a skull if it were called on to do it. The device was nothing more than a very beefy, automatic ice pick. His father told him that for example in a theater, one could sit behind the victim, press it against the appropriate spot and send him to the next world without a sound. Sitting in a safe, cozy office and looking at that device, was a disturbing reminder that war is another world entirely. It was a very nasty looking weapon, not disigned for use in a fight, but efficient in its intended function.

Hi JackG,
What you have described sounds like a low-tech, highly functional weapon of destruction.

Yes, there exist many such lethal "toys" designed by people living in very desperate circumstances.

Your tale reminds me of an authentic story of how one mugger used a sharpened ice-cream stick to rob the unsuspecting in dark alleys.
Quite a scary affair even though nothing really deadly was employed.
Just goes to show that the human imagination can be our greatest enemy in the most ordinary of circumstances.

------------------

Back