Steel Comparison

Everyone,
I have an evil plan in mind. I don't want to talk about it much because there is the very real possibility I will still just forget about it. However, I have a question. First, here is the scenario. The environment would be normal use (cardboard, string, mail, ect). Part of the premise of the knife is that the user knows how to use it. The steel is somewhere from .1-.063, depending on what barstock I can find. The main idea is edge retention. Resharpening should never be an issue if maintained regularly. The steel would be professionally heat treated to as hard as possible without chipping out on paper :D

The steels: S90V and CPM M4.

Which would you prefer in this situation?

Appreciate the help and support that this community has given me over the past few years. It has made a world of difference.

The main idea is edge retention...
The steels: S90V and CPM M4.
Which would you prefer in this situation?

Not having worked with either, I'm only making a SWAG... but I'd have to go with S90V, for its greater amount of vanadium carbides. Although, both are held in very high regard for pure edge retention, and with top-notch HT and geometry I'm sure either would work very, very well for what you describe.

You may find this discussion/comparison helpful.

S90V datasheet

CPM-M4 datasheet

Go to knife reviews and testing. Mr Ankerson has some terrific testing written up for all to read. Frank

OOH forgot about Ankerson. Thanks guys.

Any other opinions/experiences/useful bits of information?

Plus, M4 is semi-stainless and S90v is stainless. Some of your potential users may not like having to deal with the patina that develops on M4 over time...

TedP

What about M390? Frank

I thought of that too, but the OP only mentioned two specific steels. Fact is, there are many really good alloys available now that can accomplish what he's after. The differences in them in testing can actually be pretty small.

Where can one obtain M390? I found S90V and CPM-M4, but I haven't seen M390 or ELMAX recently.

For a knife like you are wanting I would pick M4. It is possible to get a 66Rc hardness, and for the light use you are talking that would be fine.
However, if both steels are at the same hardness I would choose S90V. S90V does not really gain much from going past 60 Rc, but it is amazing at 60. Not much will really compare at that hardness.
If stainless is not a concern you should look at CPM 10V or K294. Again, this steel at 64-66 Rc will cut till you do not want to cut anymore and still be ready to cut more. I have used all 3 for similar tasks and there is no comparison to 10V.

Again, this steel at 64-66 Rc will cut till you do not want to cut anymore and still be ready to cut more.

I found this funny. Thanks.

I am just trying to find a steel that is optimal for people who know how to use it. No screwdriver impersonations, regular sharpening, and well taken care of.

Back