Steel in old Pennsylvania Knives

Gentlemen,

This past weekend while attending the Queen knife show I was fortune it enough to have a conversation with a person whom had a copy of an article written in 1981 by Robert Baldwin, son of the Baldwin knife company owner in Tidioute. As many of you know, I have a huge interest in Pennsylvania related pocket knives. I read many times that many of you ask about the steel that is in the knives. This article reported the following that I thougt you might find of interest:

"The steel for the blades came in 15X60 inch sheets, with th thickness depending on the knife to be made from the steel. The steel was a carbon steel, 98% iron with maganese, silicon, vanadium and carbon making up the balance. It was purchased from Sweden. Stainless steel was tried but did not work out. The Spring steel was purchased from Crucible Steel co. of Pittsburg, and the brass for the linings from Buffalo, NY."

I thought you may find this of interest. It also stated that this company made knives for W. Bingham Co., Cleveland, OH; Shapeligh hardware, St Louis and many thousands gross of knives for W.R. Case & Sons Bradford PA. This was all during the 1920's as the plant was closed for good in 1928.

I throughly enjoy this kind of stuff. Let me know what you think?

;)

Good info, thanks. Anybody know what the trade name of that steel could be? Is it still made or used by anyone today? What steels would it be similar to?

Hmmm....

O-1 is close, but there is some nickel and chromium. 1095 is close, but no silicon or vanadium. Nothing has only those four elements and iron.

Back