Steel or Composite Toe shoes

stjames

Sebenzanista
Looking for a rec on a pair of steel or composite toe shoes for an upcoming gig. I will be doing a few weeks work in a warehouse that requires them, it will be in Las Vegas during August so that is a factor.

I tried a pair of Cat sneaker type and the were just cruel. I have size 13 wide feet and would like to put Superfeet insoles into them, I'd like to keep it under $100 but could go higher if there was a truely superior pair out there.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Just make sure there is enough room for a aftermarket insoles a wide toe box and keep the slop at a minimum steel toe tend to F up your toes if you spend much time kneeling without the wide toe you will end up splitting every one of you're toe nails down the middle and hate life
I'm a irownworker we are required to have steel toe but at most jobs I've worked 95% don't!

For under $100 check out the military surplus world. I got a brand new pair of Bates navy steel toe boots for $50 a few years back. It's possible to get even better deals, especially if you consider foreign militaries.

there are lots of "safety" toed shoes on the market that are not certified, so before you go surplus, make sure you know what kind you need. (most OH+S look for the label more than anything, so if they are unmarked, they might be a waste of time) I prefer composites for comfort, I find they stay more consistent, not pulling heat in during summer, and out during winter. Get a good pair, once you have them, you'll find uses for them, I've never come out ahead on cheap work boots.

Good boots are worth their weight in gold if you really need to wear them all day long.

http://shop.timberland.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=4397219

Timberland Pro Series are what I bought when I found myself on concrete all day where I need steel toes, puncture resistance, and shock resistance. They have really good footbeds so, you won't need to drop an extra ~$40 for superfeet.

I personally have had terrible issues with Tim pro boots. i have owned 3 pairs, and i even talked a handful of friends into buying them. I'm on my feet all day and after a few weeks we all seems to develop bad foot pains. after swapping to our old boots for a few days they went away. but i also find the sole is not very happy with heat and not very slip resistant. i slid everywhere on even a little water.

i have also owned a few pairs of redwings i still wear for landscaping, but in the end the boots that done my heart and will always be on my feet are the

carolina_boots_mens_9823L.jpg

some carolina loggers. not super heavy, and extremely comfortable for extended periods of time. i have a wide foot and they fit great even the 1st day i wore them not hot spots or soreness on my feet.

one awkward thing about them though is I'm a size 11 or 11 1/2 depending the brand. for these carolinas i wear a 9 1/2 wide.... so try them on 1st before you order online for sizing.

as for steel vs composite toe. if u work around forklifts or a construction site where shock load forces are a danger go composite so u don't loose your toes. personally i only wear steel toes and i have had a pallet dropped on my foot that weighted 4500lbs, granted it was only one side of the pallet and my boots didn't compress at all.

hope this helped

ps- i believed i left out the fact the site I'm out of now hits 115 daily, its not fun but these boots don't sweat like my tim pros did

Keen makes some safety toe "casual" style shoes. I don't know if they'd be rated for what you need but something to look at anyway. May be a bit more than you're looking to spend.

Here's a link, I hope it's okay to post since it's the manufacturer and not a vendor: http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wall/shoes/men/industrial

I would go with composite over steel. I would also definately go with KEEN!!! I swore by Georgia Boots ($300 a pair and stell toe) until I was in hot weather and my feet and ankles got tore up. I purchased Red Wings ($225 a pair and steel toe) and they were nice. Then I purchased Keens ($150 a pair), the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. They are composite which do not get hot in the heat and do not get cold in the winter. I actually bought two more not so looking work boots for leisure.

I say go composite. You are only spending a few weeks at the gig, but you will surely have a nice pair of boots for years of light duty work if you spend a decent amount of money. The reason I like composite is they make for a lighter boot which is good all around. If you are ever in cold environments steel toes make for cold toes. I worked at FedEx while going to school, and can personally recommend Red Wings. I would not recommend Worx which is Red Wing's budget line. FedEx gave $90 reimbursement every year so I would get good boots and wear them out in a year's time working out on the ramp. I got my last pair in Nov 2009, and quit FedEx in Jan 2010. That pair of composite toe Red Wings (with new laces and in-soles) are still my boots I wear every day since I started my new job Feb 2010. I work in an office and shop enviornment, but they have held up very well, and I do not see having to replace them for a few years still. If it were not for them being overly warm due to being waterproof and insulated, I would wear them more just because they are crazy comfortable.

Dunham makes good composite toe boots - and they're fairly light.
(Dunham is made by New Balance)

stjames,
Thanks for posting this thread! I just went a got a pair of Keen's, steel toe, for my new job. I was thinking I would get boots, but Keen low tops fit so well, thanks! Now I just have to see how they do on my feet all day.

Tried a couple of pairs of Timberlands locally and didn't like them, trying to find the Red Wings in town as well. I have a pair of Keen Atlanta's on the way and some composite toe Wolverines as well, couldn't find any Keens with composite just steel. Thanks for all the recommendations, I will keep you posted!

Composite - you're not going to be doing heavy construction (I work at some construction sites and still use composite). I used to do warehouse work too and you do A LOT of walking. You'll appreciate the much lighter composite toes. And since you'll be walking on concrete all day, you'll want more of a sneaker-like sole to save your lower back. Go with the ANSI-rated (very important) composite toed Magnum Hitecs. I love 'em. My favorite shoe, let alone boot, of all time. Most comfortable boot ever.

Take a look at the Wolverine brand. I have had a steel toe pair as well as a ceramic pair. Both protected my feet while the steel toe felt like 10 lbs weights were strapped to my legs. At first it was very tiring but later on you got used to it. When ever you walked around with lighter shoes it would feel like you could just about fly, without the weights on your feet.

I personally have had terrible issues with Tim pro boots. i have owned 3 pairs, and i even talked a handful of friends into buying them. I'm on my feet all day and after a few weeks we all seems to develop bad foot pains. after swapping to our old boots for a few days they went away. but i also find the sole is not very happy with heat and not very slip resistant. i slid everywhere on even a little water.

You experience doesn't match mine at all. I never had any foot pain wearing mine. Asphalt in Arizona gets plenty hot and these boots treated me well and protected my feet from the heat. In terms of slip resistance, I don't recall anything good or bad about my boots - I guess they are pretty average in this regard.

as for steel vs composite toe. if u work around forklifts or a construction site where shock load forces are a danger go composite so u don't loose your toes. personally i only wear steel toes and i have had a pallet dropped on my foot that weighted 4500lbs, granted it was only one side of the pallet and my boots didn't compress at all.

:eek: I like composite toes because the aren't as heavy and seems more comfortable. I can see where a steel toe might take a permanent "set" so, I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time.

ps- i believed i left out the fact the site I'm out of now hits 115 daily, its not fun but these boots don't sweat like my tim pros did

These boots don't breathe as well some others but, during monsoon season that fact is appreciated since my socks don't get water logged. Wet socks are the worst on my feet causing blisters and hot spots.

I tried just about every brand suggested, visited four different stores and bounced packages back and forth from Amazon, ShoeBuy and Zappos. The winner was...

Keen Detroit Lows with steel toe. I was able to snag a 13 in EE for just over my initial budget but the difference in comfort over any other breathable sneaker type shoe was well worth the price. Runner up was a pair of Redwings, very comfortable but solid leather so not as good for the heat. Might pick up a pair in the Fall, the shop owner was a great guy and I would love to give him my business.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everybody, I hope this thread can be of use to others in the future.

Back