Steel suggestion for next Mule run.

that was the winning pick in polls done here and the main forum. IIRC, it was followed by 3V and Super Blue.

I am still waiting for my cpm125v:D

chances are I'll be waiting a long time.:eek::(

The Mastiff

Gold Member
I believe Sal has 4 or 5 already in some stage of the process. As usual, He hasn't told us about any of them except the CPM M4, which he's pushing to get done next. Last I heard anyway.

If Sal picked them, I'll bet a paycheck on them being good quality steels. He's as bad a maniac as we are Hardheart. Joe

The Mastiff

Gold Member
BTW, as I understand it, the whole project can't be strictly run on what steel was voted next.

Some of the steels are difficult to get, long waiting times ( BG42 and ZDP for instance, each over a year). Sal has to be able to jump on a deal or opportunity as it becomes available. The CPM D2 is a good example.

I don't think Spyderco is in a position to buy a whole melt for each mule knife. That can sometimes further complicate things.

One of the bigger hurdles is production capacity. This has to be utilized where it is available, with the capacity and quality + technology to do the particular steels. It would be sort of wastefull sending steels that can't be blanked to companies with no waterjet or laser.

All just some of the hurdles to overcome. I'd guess most of the highly sought after steels will eventually get their turns, but it would be near impossible, and very wastefull and inefficient to chain the project to X steel, first, Y steel, second, Z steel , 3rd., etc.
Just my opinion anyway.

I'll put it this way. I wouldn't want to see the project die a premature death because of strict selection policies. Flexibility is vital to the long term success of the mule team. Joe

BTW, as I understand it, the whole project can't be strictly run on what steel was voted next.

I had no idea that subject had even been discussed, on this or any other forum. My mentioning CPM-M4 was merely a suggestion. Far as I'm concerned, it's Sal's company and he can do as he pleases. People will eventually vote with their wallets.

I'm just happy they make knives at all.

The Mastiff

Gold Member
Yeah Shangchi, There was a thread where hundreds of people voted. A good turnout. You made a great choice BTW. That's the one I voted for as my first choice IIRC. We put our top 3 choices down in the thread. Joe

Some of the steels are difficult to get, long waiting times ( BG42 and ZDP for instance, each over a year). Sal has to be able to jump on a deal or opportunity as it becomes available. The CPM D2 is a good example.

I don't think Spyderco is in a position to buy a whole melt for each mule knife. That can sometimes further complicate things.

One of the bigger hurdles is production capacity. This has to be utilized where it is available, with the capacity and quality + technology to do the particular steels. It would be sort of wastefull sending steels that can't be blanked to companies with no waterjet or laser.

All just some of the hurdles to overcome. I'd guess most of the highly sought after steels will eventually get their turns, but it would be near impossible, and very wastefull and inefficient to chain the project to X steel, first, Y steel, second, Z steel , 3rd., etc.
Just my opinion anyway.

I'll put it this way. I wouldn't want to see the project die a premature death because of strict selection policies. Flexibility is vital to the long term success of the mule team. Joe

I'm just happy they make knives at all.

AMEN........... ;)
whatever they do, in whatever order they do it ......
............works for me......
:thumbup:

...it would be near impossible, and very wastefull and inefficient to chain the project to X steel, first, Y steel, second, Z steel , 3rd., etc.
Either that, or it would result in one mule knife per decade. I think Sal has done a fantastic job of getting the first mules to market so quickly - tackling a project I can hardly imagine any knife company would want to undertake. The least we can do is be patient as he finds a way to make it work.

Even if it's not the next thing coming down the pipeline, I'm holding out for CPM-M4. The bragging rights alone will be worth the price. :cool:

Either that, or it would result in one mule knife per decade. I think Sal has done a fantastic job of getting the first mules to market so quickly - tackling a project I can hardly imagine any knife company would want to undertake. The least we can do is be patient as he finds a way to make it work.

+1 ......... :thumbup:

Brilliantly stated ...........:thumbup: ;)

I think the poll was a tool to find out what people wanted rather than a hard and fast rule.
I love my mule ,it is one of the best cutting tools out there.
I don't care what steel they use so long as it is an exotic stainless of some sort.
It would be nice if it was soon as well.

I think they got some important data from the last Mule run. The Bushcraft knife has been switched from 52100 to O1 and Sal mentioned that they had issues dealing with it.

I don't really like folders although I do make an exception for a few Spydies so I loved the Mules design as well as it's steel. I think a Mule made from the Byrd steel and with a FRN handle would be awesome and cheap.