1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steevee's WIP-ZONE

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by steevee, Jun 25, 2018.

1. steevee

steevee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 11, 2012
    Hello!

Not sure if anyone cares for knifemakers with such small name as myself but I thought that it won't hurt to post it. Somehow this projest got me more excited than usually.

I had piece of O1 laying around that would make an awesome chopper... So I started drawing and ended up with this...

[​IMG]

But I already made a lot of knives with harpoon style swedge and there is gazillion of those made by other makers, so I tried to figure out something a little different. I came up with this...
    [​IMG]

And fell in love with those lines. Got it heat treated same day

[​IMG]

Today I cleaned it up
    [​IMG]

Now It's time for the guard and handle, but I'd like to share with You some blade details first:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...And here's a drawing of the whole project:
    [​IMG]

I'm planing to make fatigued look brass guard and green burlap micarta handle.

More updates coming soon

Cheers!

2. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    You’ve got an awesome start going, looking forward to seeing more...:)

Mike157 and steevee like this.
  3. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Definitely liking version 2.0 better. I tend to like swedge lines that meet the tip of the blade but that's just me. You do clean precise work and have good attention to detail, like the chamfered corners/edges. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

4. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    That's a great looking blade shape, can't wait to see it finished.

valknut likes this.
  5. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    looks great ! i admire your radius'ed (rounded) tang shoulders. i have seen much bigger names using 90 degree shoulderts, and thats where the blade will snap off under heavy use :mad: !

valknut likes this.
  6. steevee

steevee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 11, 2012
    And that's why I always make them rounded ;) Thanks!

7. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very Nice looking work !

stabber likes this.
  8. steevee

Jul 11, 2012
    So I was working on the guard yesterday...

Pretty happy about the fit up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now it's time to grind it to shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since every surface is prepared for stonewash, I can start sculpting.

The face of upper guard got to be first.
    [​IMG]

Then I can make inner parts of the guard.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's starting to look like something ;)
    [​IMG]

Side grooves done and everything blended in together.
    [​IMG]

And there it goes into my super-duper stoneash mashine :D
    [​IMG]

Here's all finished up.
    [​IMG]

But...
    Lines between lower guard radius and side groove were closer to each other than on the upper guard. I had mixed feelings about it, so I took few steps back and fixed it.

[​IMG]

I'm done with it for now, next step- making the handle.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Nice work, I especially love that guard!

10. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Great stuff. Can't wait to see the rest of the progress.

11. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    That is amazing! Is the grind on one side convex and on the other side hollow, or am I just seeing it wrong? (next to last photo in your first post) I love it, regardless!

jftman likes this.
  12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    STEEVEE - you are a BIG name knife maker in my book. :thumbsup: This one has all the promise of a beautiful, rugged and classy work knife. I agree with i4Marc that to my eye the swedge lines should have met the tip - maybe the tip is stronger this way? In any case I nit pick. I really like the what you are doing with this. Version 2 was a big leap to better.

Looking forward to watching this one finish up.

Ray

13. steevee

Jul 11, 2012
    @samuraistuart Main bevels are slightly convexed

@RayseM I make swedges this way cause it's a little different. Also there is much more material behind the tip, so You're right about overall toughnes.
    Thanks for looking guys!

14. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Nice work

Different enough to make it special

Guard material ..... bronze ?

15. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Looking like a heck of a knife in the making. Thanks for the updates, it’s nice to get a glimpse of the progress and steps taken to get to the finish line.

steevee likes this.
  16. steevee

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks! Guard is made from brass.

17. steevee

Jul 11, 2012
    Ok, let's make a handle!

[​IMG]

I skipped laminating process cause I didn"t have enough hands to make photos.

So I ended up with some micarta.
    [​IMG]

One half inch plate for the sides and one with thickness of the tang (~ 0,315")

I like this type of handle construction, I don't need to struggle with tang slot so much.

[​IMG]

And It's always fitted very nicely.

[​IMG]

Now got to cut out all needed pieces...

[​IMG]

...And glue it all together.

[​IMG]

It comes together pretty nice ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got nice and tight fit, no rattle at all. But You'll never know...

So I made pins to keep it all in place when I'll be putting it on tang and taking it of for gazillion times ;P

[​IMG]

Time to make ultra- advanced handle sculpting fixture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep... It's a handle on stick...

[​IMG]

I make rough shaping on the grinder and refining it by hand. Here I just finished tweaking it for symetry.

[​IMG]

And here it is after some paper work.

[​IMG]

I sprayed it with WD-40 to give You the Idea how it'll look finished. Just need a moment on buffing wheel and I can call it done. If I won't mess this up, I'll proppably show You finished knife in next update.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  18. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    wow, very nice.

19. Petr Melicharek

Petr Melicharek KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2015
    This looks very promising :) I love the guard :)

valknut likes this.
  20. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Very much enjoying this thread and admiring your work.

Is this not the knife in your avatar picture ?

Edit: I see a difference in the guard, any chance you can photograph them together when you are finished?