Stellite Alloy Fusion-- SharpFusion Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something new I have been working on for some time and want to share with you guys. Here at Snodyknives we call it SharpFusion TM. The process of thermally fusing one of the most wear resistant alloys available to a substrate (knife blade) that is chosen for specific mechanical properties. The prototypes and test pieces are completed and have exceeded my expectations in terms of cutting performance.

It is going to be one HELL of a combination.

Brad Duncan and I are currently working on some very exciting collaborations and I have shared SharpFusion Technology with him. I have been impressed with Brad's work for some time now and anyone who has handled his knives can attest to the quality he puts in each piece. He has made several blades utilizing this process with outstanding results. Brad can tell you more about its applications in the world of hard core folders. I will be conducting more testing throughout the week and will share my findings as well as images of the test blades on this thread. Test blades will go out this week to a few of the forumites. I will also be updating my website with much more detailed data regarding this process.

In closing I would like to thank the people who visited me at the Southeastern Show this past weekend. Many of whom handled and cut with the Sharpfusion Overlord prototype.

Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

Just joking of course... :)

That sounds very exciting Mike. I'm sorry I wasn't paying more attention in W-S. Are you planning on selling the raw material to other makers?

Using Stellite as a facing material has been practised for many years in industry, most notably the Stellite facing of the edges of turbine blades for wear resistance. Congratulations for introducing this to knifemaking! Keep us informed of the progress. - Dick

I spent some time talking with Mike at the W-S show about his fusion project. Let me tell you, it is very impressive to say the least. For those of us who are Gunome (temper line fanatics), we can now get that fix in a non-corrosive blade format. The fusion line is very visible, and very attractive. Mike, I feel like you are onto something big, and I offer my congratulations to you! Thank you for spending the time and sharing with all of us there. Stay tuned folks.....this has the potential to be revolutionary.

P.S - Jerry, you were too busy selling all those knives to have time to pay attention.

David Demspey

www.dempseyknives.com

Hi David. I was? Why was my suitcase so heavy on the way home then? :)

BTW folks, if you are not familiar with David Dempsey's work you need to check out his website. Very nice blades!

I must have been to busy buying a knife off of David to see this at Mike's Table.

I do have to say that David's Fit and Finish are superb. As soon as I give the knife I bought a worthy workout I will post a review.

This sounds exciting! If you ever offer it to other makers please let us know as I would love to try it!

Hi there,I guess the cat is out of the bag.This new concept is as exciting as my first Lay.Mike pretty well spoke for me on the details.I am very fortunate to be apart of the new deal.This is the cutting edge of knife making.And it gets better.Here is a example of a Whip Lash I finished this afternoon.Satin finish Bg-Steelite fusion.The blade at the top shows what it will look like in a bead blasted format.The Temper Line is very visable.This stuff cuts so good its like butta.This is the SH**.I hope you like it as much as I do.It just makes you want to cut whatever you come in contact with.

Fun Fun,.
Enjoy,I know I will.
Brad Duncan

Attachments

• mammothnnnnn001.jpg
    mammothnnnnn001.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 843
Boy, how did I miss this one? I think I cut something with almost every knife on the table. :D

I still can't let my Overlord sit for more than an hour without grabbing it up and admiring it. That, and waiting for most of the hair on my left forearm to grow back!

I'll be keeping an eye out for the pictures!

Todd

Thanks for the heads up.

Keep us posted guys this sounds like it will take off.

Brad, thanks for taking the time to show the pictures. Great looking stuff as usual.

Here is a photo of an Overlord blade with the SharpFusion Stellite edge. The blade has been abused and sharpened a few times on a belt reducing the Stellite to about .275". The blade has a satin finish and has not been etched.
Regards,
Mike Snody

Attachments

• one to use.jpg
    one to use.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 777
I put the Overlord handle in a vise and bent the blade about 100 degrees using a 6'cheater pipe. I then took it out of the vice and beat the blade to about 180 degrees using a sledge hammer. There is no cracking or damage to the cutting edge at this point.
Regards,
Mike Snody

Attachments

• forum9.jpg
    forum9.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 726
When you first mentioned this to me a while ago it was to me a very exciting innovation. Now that I have read all that you have done in testing this new blade material I am even more excited about it.

Your knives are first rate. I consider them to be some of the best, highest value knives in the industry today. The work you are putting into finding new ways to make your blades better shows that you are pushing the limits higher and this can only be a good thing for the knife industry.:D

It's great to see what you are doing my friend. The only problem (not really) is that it is going to cost me a lot more money to get all the knives that I am going to have to have. :)

Thanks Keith, I appreciate your comments. Here is another image. I drove the Overlord thru a 1.5" thick piece of hard maple with a sledge hammer. There was no tip deformation. Good night all.
Regards,
Mike Snody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back