1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Stick Tang Skewed to One Side (Now With Pictures)

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by redsquid2, Feb 1, 2012.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    I think I have done stick tangs 7 times now. This time I got it wrong. I don't know how it happened. I drew a center line along the top and drilled real slow and careful

I will let the picture illustrate how far the blade is skewed to the right.

Question: Can I save this project without tearing off the handle and starting fresh? If so, how? When I say "save this project" I mean "make a decent puukko."

O.A.L. right now (unfinished) is 6 3/4". Handle block is 7/8" at its widest point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--squiddy

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. joe sangster

joe sangster

Jul 5, 2003
    Looks like a Southpaw version to me !

Joe

3. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Here is a solution, but it would take the handle width down from 7/8" to 11/16". I don't know how wide a puukko is supposed to be. What do you guys think of this fix?

[​IMG]

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I don't get it. What makes it "southpaw"?

5. tryppyr

tryppyr KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2010
    Just start sanding it down. I'd be willing to wager that once you get it perfectly lined up and shaped, you'll be even happier with it than you would be if it had been able to stay at 7/8th inch. Also remember that with contouring it won't be a FLAT 11/16ths, and it could be wider at the apex. Don't sand a flat curve, sand a contour.

6. joe sangster

joe sangster

Jul 5, 2003
    'Southpaw " made to fit a left handed person

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You have discovered the prime reason you don't pre-shape the handle before drilling. If the handle is already at the desired thickness...there is nothing left to remove to align the blade with the handle if things move in drilling or glue-up. A Greg said, this one will probably be fine after straightening it up.

In the future:
    Mark the centerline and draw the desired shape on the handle block.
    Drill tang hole and fit to the tang.
    Check alignment.
    Grind handle to basic shape, leaving extra.
    Glue up blade and handle.....check that is is straight when clamping.
    Shape handle after epoxy cures.

8. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011

I took your suggestion. The handle is now a bit skinnier than I wanted, but I am happy with the outcome. Still feels good in the hand. Thanks.

Pictures will follow.

9. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Here it is now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Brian Ayres

Brian Ayres

Feb 4, 2011
    Nice. Glad you could save the block!