Stick Tang Skewed to One Side (Now With Pictures)

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I think I have done stick tangs 7 times now. This time I got it wrong. I don't know how it happened. I drew a center line along the top and drilled real slow and careful

I will let the picture illustrate how far the blade is skewed to the right.

Question: Can I save this project without tearing off the handle and starting fresh? If so, how? When I say "save this project" I mean "make a decent puukko."

O.A.L. right now (unfinished) is 6 3/4". Handle block is 7/8" at its widest point.

6803858025_05c8ebe77d_b.jpg

6803859479_d1b3562612_b.jpg

--squiddy

Last edited:
Here is a solution, but it would take the handle width down from 7/8" to 11/16". I don't know how wide a puukko is supposed to be. What do you guys think of this fix?

6804091217_bb2abf0ce3_b.jpg

Just start sanding it down. I'd be willing to wager that once you get it perfectly lined up and shaped, you'll be even happier with it than you would be if it had been able to stay at 7/8th inch. Also remember that with contouring it won't be a FLAT 11/16ths, and it could be wider at the apex. Don't sand a flat curve, sand a contour.

You have discovered the prime reason you don't pre-shape the handle before drilling. If the handle is already at the desired thickness...there is nothing left to remove to align the blade with the handle if things move in drilling or glue-up. A Greg said, this one will probably be fine after straightening it up.

In the future:
Mark the centerline and draw the desired shape on the handle block.
Drill tang hole and fit to the tang.
Check alignment.
Grind handle to basic shape, leaving extra.
Glue up blade and handle.....check that is is straight when clamping.
Shape handle after epoxy cures.

Just start sanding it down. I'd be willing to wager that once you get it perfectly lined up and shaped, you'll be even happier with it than you would be if it had been able to stay at 7/8th inch. Also remember that with contouring it won't be a FLAT 11/16ths, and it could be wider at the apex. Don't sand a flat curve, sand a contour.

I took your suggestion. The handle is now a bit skinnier than I wanted, but I am happy with the outcome. Still feels good in the hand. Thanks.

Pictures will follow.

Here it is now:

6810015595_9a797a4a72_b.jpg

6810017405_5c9f5aba8f_b.jpg

6810010893_be8d4cf191_b.jpg

Back