1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sticky Compression Lock Release on PM 2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by bowman47, Jul 18, 2019.

1. bowman47

bowman47

Apr 15, 2007
    When the compression lock is released on my new PM 2 it feels kind of sticky and makes a little scratching noise. I'm wondering what I can do to remedy that. It works OK, but the noise and resistance are irritating. I'd prefer not to take the knife apart if possible. I'm thinking that maybe there is a burr on the compression lock tab that is causing this but perhaps it is something else. I suppose I could send it back to Spyderco. Any suggestions?

2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Some people suggested to rotate the stop pin a bit, though it did not work for me. Try to scratch the lockface with a pencil. It might help.

3. raulob72

raulob72

Dec 28, 2015
    You willhave to open that up and clean /lubricate the parts, also polish sand the washer on a flat surface.
    my .002

4. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Assume you mean a sticky lock. Never had it in a PM2, but several times in a PM3 (most recently in Maxamet).

Note that this makes the knife out of spec and Spyderco should fix it if you are willing to send it in.

Only way I know how to fix lock stick myself, is by reducing the lock/detent pressure. You have to take it apart for that, however. And you might not like the softer detent afterwards.

The more I work on them, the more I wonder why the PM[23] has to be so finicky to adjust ....

5. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    My PM3 was like that but months of daily use and it eventually broke in.

gotgoat and Dadpool like this.
  6. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Is that really true that knives with sticky lock are regarded as out of spec by Spyderco? I recall more than a few Spyderco K2 had this issue.

7. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    I didn't say that. Out of spec for me, lock-stick s*cks on a 100+$ knife - in my opinion.

8. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Clean the lock face on the blade as much as you can. Then color it with a pencil. The two surfaces will "mate" after time.

buckeyejake likes this.
  9. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Every once in a while mine will stick for a bit. Blowing it out with compressed air and cleaning the lock surfaces as best I can without disassembly usually clears it up pretty quickly.

Dadpool likes this.
  10. gotgoat

gotgoat Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2016
    use it and give it time to break in

buckeyejake and uxo2 like this.
  11. bowman47

bowman47

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've been trying the pencil trick. Not much change yet but we'll see how it goes.

12. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I had a sticky lock on a Yojimbo 2 I got off the exchange and I loosened the body screws to try to rotate the stop bar. When I tightened it back up the blade was way off center. I messed with it for like a whole weekend and when I got it perfectly centered again the lock stick was gone....not sure this is helpful, actually

sliceofaloha and 017 like this.
  13. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    One of mine was sticky...I hit it with a black sharpie where the surfaces
    mated. It was fine in a couple of weeks

14. bowman47

bowman47

Apr 15, 2007
    I loosened the screws that hold the lock bar and applied pencil lead to the locking surface. Then I locked and unlocked the blade a bunch of times. It's now much better.

gotgoat likes this.
  15. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    It's new and needs to be broken in.

Flick it.... It'll smooth out.

buckeyejake likes this.
  16. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    It’s because on the PM2 the action is not only determined by the tightness of the pivot but also how tight the stop pin screws are in.

17. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Read my post, please: "Assume you mean a sticky lock. Never had it in a PM2, but several times in a PM3 (most recently in Maxamet)."

18. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Try a couple of drops of Rem Oil gun oil. Or Breakfree CLP.

19. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    On the lock interface? My experience is that this can make lock stick considerably worse, as it allows the lock to travel further across the tang.

20. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    No, it should clean any and all gunk out of the lock, then lightly lube the action. It is not a thick gun oil but a liquid that clean, lubricates, and protects the metal parts. CLP.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019