Stiff slip joint - fix

I have several slip joint knives... mostly Victorinox SAK but also a nice AG Russell Rider/Trapper.

All these knives share one feature, which I view as a problem; the joints are so stiff that it is difficult to open the blades. I've had a couple of these knives a long time, and with much use they have not loosened up at all.

Is there some trick for smooting out the action of a slip joint. A knife that's hard to open is not fun to use.

All of these knives are so stiff that it's difficult to open them? Uhh, I don't think the problem is with the knives. I can't speak about the Russell, but I've had a ton of Victorinox SAKs and never had one get so stiff it was hard to open. You might try blasting 'em out with WD-40 and then maybe running hot water over the pivots for awhile. Finally, when the knife is good and dry, dab some Rem oil or other lube in the pivot areas.

Like mnblade says. Give em a blast with some WD40 or Rem Oil and use them, use them, use them! The action will loosen up some with use. Keep the pivot clean and lubricated and they should be OK

After the recommended treatments above, I suggest that you kick up that "...with much use..." exercise to "fanatical use" status. Have it near your PC when online and cycle it open and closed in-between keystrokes. :D

Back