stitching left white/natural on sheaths?

I'm curious about you folks' opinion on this.

I see a lot of leathersmith's and knifemakers leave their stitching a natural or white color. I know many of Rowe's are this way.

I've had a few where I was going to do this (leaving the 7 cord Barbour's linen in natural color, i.e. "off-white") but always ended up dying them to match the color of the leather.

So what do you all think?

Thanks!
Nick

*edited to add* I intentionally placed this thread here to get the buyers'/collectors' views, thanks.

Nick,
Personally I like the white stiching.
Up kind of late are you not? ;)
Catch ya.
Randy

Most of my sheaths are black leather. I chose the colours to suit the theme of the knife and to see if either matching or contrasting colours suit better. I use white, brown and black nylon tape-type thread. Eg.- a stag handled knife might call for a black sheath with white stitching to match the deep polished white stag handles. Brown thread on black leather would suit a maple burl handled hunter etc. black on black is just elegant.

Of course, it helps to have very even stitching if you are using white on black. Thanks Jason.

I guess I am not that big a fan of white stitching unless it is on either natural or tan leather, it just serves as a distraction on brown, black or burgundy IMO. I like it dyed the color of the sheath in these cases. Also, as the knife is used and the sheath weathered a little the white doesn't stay white or match the sheath, it just looks discolored.

I tend to prefer dyed stitching for my leather sheaths. I also tend to prefer darker colored sheaths too... just my personal quirk.

On black I dye the thread black, white on black never looked too good, reminds me of some 70's pants I use to have with black and white stitching...ugh...lol

On other colours, I most often leave the thread natural, which means you have to be very careful when dyeing the sheath not to get some on the strands, also on the back, the dye can weep through to the front, if it does...then the whole thing gets dyed and be done with it.
Richard on the forums, a photographer, recently had a sheath made for his 100th anniversary Buck 110, he took a very nice picture of it and you can see how the thread contrasts to the burgundy sheath in This Thread he did an excellent job!

G2

On some sheaths I like white thread. The problem is that it doesn't stay white. It looks good when the sheath is new, but not so good when it has been worn for awhile.

Never really gave it much thought. I do, however, love the look of the white thread on Gary's latest folder sheath. I believe somebody posted that picture a few days ago.

I prefer natural color in general, but it is tough to pull of on black leather.

Really depends on the design of the sheath and the knife though.

A really simple pouch sheath can look pretty dressed-up with a natural thread, but a complex and/or color patterned sheath can look very busy with a contrasting thread.

On dark-coloured sheaths I definitely prefer the stitching to match rather than contrast. Like on this one, for example: :D ;)

orig.jpg

On, say, a light tan-coloured sheath I don't mind white stitching but could take it or leave it.

By the way Nick, you're doing real nice leather work.

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Nick, to me its the knife & the handle material that call to me with the thread choice. A loud or agressively patterned handle material, say Blue G-10, may warrent a contrasting stich. The knife and sheath Roger just posted is a very high end, clean looking piece. Professional series maybe...that type of fantastic work almost dictates a smooth and clean covering. Where as if it were a fighting//combat knife, a little contrast can add to the overall concept.
Great job as always..

Back