Stockman Knives

eisman

Gold Member
When I was a teenager the Stockman was my preferred pocket knife. Usually a Uncle Henry or Old Timer, and then mainly due to the warranty. I lost a knife one time, carelessness on my part, when fishing with a buddy in one of the streams that, back then, actually held native trout. The company replaced my knife free of charge, and won some serious customer loyalty.

Since then I've carried a fairly large variety of knives in my pockets, and still, on occasion, a Stockman pattern. Currently my preference is for an older Schrade, which I tend to keep in my dopp kit when I travel.

A couple months ago I was lucky enough to win a GAW hosted by Woodrow F Call on these pages. The prize was a new Case Stockman in Amber Bone, and it's a very good looking knife. Thanks again, Woodrow!

I carried this knife for a few weeks, and then went back to my older friend. I sat and thought about this, and came to a couple conclusions as to what I like about the knives I carry and use in general. So, since talking this kind of stuff with my family makes them roll their eyes and go on with conversations about really important stuff, I figured I bore you all with this drivel.

LK9PkV8.jpg

As you can see from the photo above, the Case is a larger knife. The Schrade is right at 3 5/8" and fits my (preferred) watch pocket carry much better. I don't usually carry anything in my right front pocket, so a knife in there has a tendency to move around. I find the rounded bolsters much more comfortable; finding a sharp corner on a bumpy road is less than pleasant when it's in your pocket. . .

XzXngA9.jpg
[/IMG]
XzXngA9.jpg

My biggest issue with the Case is the main (clip) blade. It's too thick and wide to make the cuts the slimmer Schrade can. It is a lot better at heavier cuts, but I don't need that as often. I don't fish as much as I used to but I find for slicing food the slimmer blade cuts easier. I admit that I did like the big sheepsfoot blade though. Very handy for opening stuff.

H4zLMmz.jpg

One thing I'm not fully decided on is the position of the nail nicks. Having both the shorter blades nicked on the same side seems to be a good idea. But if you're putting the sheepsfoot's nick on that side I'd think you could lower it and cut down on the profile (overall height) of the knife. Part of that may be because they don't move the spey blade as deep into the body of the knife as the Schrade does. Doing that, with a little relief for the nail nick, might allow the sheepsfoot to drop lower, and then having both nicks on that side would have more value.

I like the Case. It's a very nice knife. But it's just too big for me to carry all the time. Still, it needs use, so one of my nephews is going to get lucky when I see them this summer. Every boy should have a Case knife in their pocket.

Last edited:
Schrade still makes a nice variety of stockman or sowbelly knives. Some with bone handles. I've been very pleased with mine (and have been a maker, customizer, collector, user for 60+ years). Try a Schrade or maybe a Rough Rider or Marbles - they also make some nice models.
Rich

Hi, nice knives you have there. The Schrade stockman you have is just like the first knife I bought for myself in elementary school.

3 5/8 is my sweet spot, also. And I prefer rounded bolsters for just the reason you stated.

Why not go in between the two for size? Many companies make a 3⅞ to 4 inch stockman, that has more cutting power than the Schrade you show, but still have the thinner blades.

Case 6347 in burnt cream bone @ 3⅞" closed
Dam47OpenShort_zpsa66d9608.jpg~original

Queen #9 in carved stag bone @ 4" closed
9csbOpen_zpsdef2a1f5.jpg~original

Schrade 8OT in green smooth bone @ 4" closed
d82b1e5d-c3ee-4968-ab3e-70acc49855aa_zpspbzmtn0y.jpg~original

Jeff The Queen WCSB is one of the great Stockman knives in my view.

For me the Big CASE is a perplexing knife, I like many of its obvious qualities:decent bone, well made, large but not outlandish. But...it is a heavy carry in the trouser pocket so I only carry it in a top-coat in winter time. The square bolsters are rather oppressive on a knife of this size, and the high riding Sheepfoot that CASE often favours....handful of blades feel.

My alternative is a Böker Germany - like most of the rest of you, I prefer rounded bolsters for a knife of this size and it gives a good Clip but not too thick either. It's smaller and the CASE and feels it when carrying it! Sheepfoot only just rising above the Clip endows it with good aesthetics.

Another fine alternative and yet smaller, is the Winchester Black Box Stockman a knife I like a lot.

Then there's the whole Whittler can of worms to open up :D

IMG_1045-1.jpg

XzXngA9.jpg
[/IMG]
XzXngA9.jpg

My biggest issue with the Case is the main (clip) blade. It's too thick and wide to make the cuts the slimmer Schrade can. It is a lot better at heavier cuts, but I don't need that as often. I don't fish as much as I used to but I find for slicing food the slimmer blade cuts easier.

I have a Case medium stockman model 6318, that I bought new within the last two or three years. It's similar size as your Schrade about 3 5/8 inches long, and it's main blade shape is almost identical to the one on your Schrade. I also have a Schrade Old Timer model 340T, manufactured in 2001. It is about 3 3/8 inches long. It's blade is shaped very close to the one on your case. I don't know that it means much, just interesting. Neither of mine have the nicely rounded bolsters of your old Schrade.

O.B.

I've always loved the stockman pattern. The Case 6375 large stockman is my favorite for the tougher chores and the mid-sized 3.5" GEC #66 gets the nod for more casual days.

In my pre knife nut days, I carried a stockman for 25 years almost exclusively. The only other knife that got any attention was a SAK. But when the old stockman was very badly worn, I went into a knife nut phase for a decade and went through a sodbuster craze, a peanut craze, and some other various knives. But now I'm back carrying a stockman, and have no desire to carry anything else. I feel like I'm back where I was supposed to be after a long fling. For a few years it was a Northwoods stockman, and now I'm back with a Buck 301.

I came home.

The Northwoods and SAK that was carry for a long while;

My 'new' old friend with another old friend that has traveled many miles and years with me;

Last edited:
I got a leather sheath for my Case 65 Pattern Stockman cause it a a load in anything but jeans.
I got a ton of 8OT STOCKMAN And that Serpentine pattern Stockman does carry easy.

In my pre knife nut days, I carried a stockman for 25 years almost exclusively. The only other knife that got any attention was a SAK. But when the old stockman was very badly worn, I went into a knife nut phase for a decade and went through a sodbuster craze, a peanut craze, and some other various knives. But now I'm back carrying a stockman, and have no desire to carry anything else. I feel like I'm back where I was supposed to be after a long fling. For a few years it was a Northwoods stockman, and now I'm back with a Buck 301.

I came home.

The Northwoods and SAK that was carry for a long while;

My 'new' old friend with another old friend that has traveled many miles and years with me;

Jackknife, I can't agree with what you said more. I did the same thing. It took a venture off through non traditionals, and single blades (still have some of those) and even improved trappers but now it's pretty much always a stockman or cattle knife in my pocket. Even when I carry a fixed or my sebenza, I still have one of the 3 blade stock knives.

Without realizing it, I guess the stockman has become my favorite pattern. A quick count reveals at least a dozen on my shelf.

Would it be going out on a limb to suggest the 6318 is the most popular stockman? I have three, out of a dozen stockman knives on my shelf. It is a nice size and is available in CV. Any place that carries Case knives will usually have at least a few variants on display.

I get to wear overalls everyday, so carrying that 6375 is easy peazy in one of my two bib pockets that are practically made for carrying a pocket knife.... or a carpenters pencil. Wearing slacks or jeans, I'd probably opt for something smaller on most days. Something that rides well in a watch pocket and any of the Case Medium Stockmen would do that just fine. In a slack pocket, the rounded bolsters are definitely more comfortable.... In the watch pocket, it matters less as it's less apt to move around and poke me.

I really do like the Schrade Stockman knives. I would like to find one in actual bone that was made in the USA.

Back