Stockman's knife-the purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Why do so many companies still make the three bladed stockman's knife, now days? There aren't that many cowboys left to castrate the cattle, etc.
It still seems popular, though. For years, I carried one, not knowing what it was intended for. The three blades were handy, I must say.
Any comments?
Curious is the Ol' Professor!
Thanks.
Best,
Prof. Ed

You might want to post this in the "Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades" forum, listed under "General Knife Discussion". It may get more of a response.

That said, I think the stockman is just a very traditional, classic slip joint and the spey blade is probably not used much for it's original purpose, but is used for general cutting uses. The stockman also makes a very useful whittler and all-purpose pocket knife.:)

I bet the cattle wish there were no more stockmans...

I agree that it is a classic pattern, and therefore still very popular. Older people will remember them from when they were younger, and who didn't get one of these from dad or grandpa when they were growing up?

Plus, I think they are still sheeple friendly (for now anyways), and you won't make any old ladies wet themselves when you take them out.

It's pretty much all I carry, although I prefer the older ones.

Why do they still make slinky's and silly putty? They certainly are not as popular now, but have a lot of nostalgia...

If you do a search for "stockman" in the traditional forum you´ll shurely find a lot.

The spey is a very useful blade, with the marked belly it complements the clip and sheepfoot well, as an example, I can use the spey to cut my cuticle, I place the tip of the blade where I want to start cutting, and gently rock the blade letting the edge roll over the skin, if it is properly sharp it will cut cleanly (it is after all designed "for flesh only"), just have to be carefull and don´t cut where I shouldn´t (if you want to try this yourself, do it at your own risk).

Edited to change the wording and comment on the cuticle, I want to clarify that I can, and have done it, not that I recomend it.

IMHO I find my stockman a great whittler with the choice of blade profiles. I have a Buck, Case and an old Parker 4 blade Stockman. The short blades on full size handles are great for control in hand carving. The multiple plain edges can also be sharpened differently for rough and razor edges to suit the profile strengths -surprisingly useful to have a "best edge" and utility edges in the same knife.

Nautilus

I just bought a stockman on Saturday! Schrade Old Timer Middleman.

As for your question, I think there are several key reasons people still buy stockman (and other slipjoint) knives. I find a 4" "tactical" folder to be an ideal EDC, while the sheeple think a 4" knife is big. BIG? nah... I think that big doesn't start until 9" or so! But to the sheeple, a stockman is what a pocket knife is, not a knife with a 4" blade, serrations and a picket clip. Also, they are great whittlers. I bought mine for that, and to do the fine chores that my Buck/Strider won't do. Another reason is that they are so familiar to the majority out there. Grandpa owns one, Dad owns one, I own one, :) A lot of younger people now probably think a basic pocket knife is your typical tac folder. Up until 10 years ago, I'd say that stockmans and Buck 110 folders were your typical pocket knife in the minds of youths, but that is changing. The utility of the knives are awesome too. 3 knives with 3 different geometries kicks butt, and you can sharpen one with a super push cutting edge, one with a toothy slicing edge, and one inbetween if you want. Finally, I think that they are just so much fun to collect. there are a billion slipjoint patterns, handle materials, blade shapes, makers, etc. Collecting stockmans can be quite inexpensive, and you can get a lot os stockmans in a display case that only holds 3 bowies!

While it's true that not much castrating goes on
anymore the blade shape is great for cutting.....
fruit.

I suppose more than anything the stockman just
says "pocketknife" to millions of people.

They're not fast and the big ones are kinda heavy but they cut very well without freaking anyone out. A little Middleman is a much better cutter than most thick bladed tactical knives. They don't cost an arm and a leg and they do what a knife is supposed to. And whittling isn't a bad way to spend a rainy day.

Frank

The spey blade on stockmans can make a dandy little screwdriver as well. I'm not talking heavy duty but the tip will work both slot and cross point. (low torque 'lectronic stuff)

A stockman was my main edc for years until I found a dandy little locking scalpel.

Oddly, with all the abuse I've given stockmans over the years, the blade I really mangled once was the sheepsfoot.

I've an oooolllddd Camillus that's still a favorite dress knife. Stained blades, a crack or two in the scales at the pins but way nicer than any made by them in the past thirty years. (oddly enough, it has been used as a screwdriver countless times)

Cheers

GC

I just cringed when the horse c lover referred to using the spey as a screwdriver. That's never a good plan unless the problem you're solving costs more than the time out would take to get an actual screwdriver. Better yet I've heard of a newfangled invention called a Leatherman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back