Stone Width

Them Norton tri hones were the the Cadillac of sharpening systems back in the day. I still use one on ocassion and went so far as getting a set of arks to put in it but am to busy with using both sides of the stones with a holder, for now.

You spent some change on stones.
I did too as for mine I got the coarse, med. and fine SiC plus the India. Then I just had to have a diamond stone that fit it. DM

Last edited:
I did too as for mine I got the coarse, md. and fine SiC plus the India. Then I just had to have a diamond stone that fit it. DM
Which diamond did you get David? I’ve three of those DMT plates and really like them . The scratch pattern is more pronounced than natural stones it seems.

I got the DMT nickle plate that fit the 313 unit in x coarse grit. It is slightly more coarse than Nortons SiC coarse. Now I have 5 grits that I can mount in this Tri- hone. DM

Last edited:
With narrow stones you are more likely to tilt the blade on the edges of the stone and mesh up the angle. I'd absolutely pick 3" over 2".

I don't think this has ever once happened to me by accident, and tilting the blade doesn't change the angle relative to the abrasive. A method of sharpening serrations on a standard bench stone it to deliberately tilt the knife to run the edge of the stone in and out of the serrations.

I did too as for mine I got the coarse, md. and fine SiC plus the India. Then I just had to have a diamond stone that fit it. DM
It was just the black ark that was expensive. Could very easily skip that stone for knifes.

I got the DMT nickle plate that fit the 313 unit in x coarse grit. It is slightly more coarse than Nortons SiC coarse. Now I have 5 grits that I can mount in this Tri- hone. DM
Have you ever tried this Norton combo David ?
  • Medium Crystolon Side
  • Fine India Side
  • 11-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 1"
IC11-z.jpg

Skyhorse, I don't have that combination stone. I do have one similar to that, the JUM-3. It is a coarse/ fine, SiC grit. It's the same size as that. It's a good stand alone stone. The fine grit is fine enough and the coarse will handle most work. Then I have one combo stone more coarse paired with a medium grit. I use these 2 more than all my other stones. My wife likes the finish from the India grit for her kitchen knives. DM

I just sbarpened this 12" melon knife on my Norton Tri-hone. The fine India. Then I did a 9" carver on both this stone and Norton's 2x8" India. I can get these long kitchen knives tuned on the 2x8" stone. But the larger stone has a big advantage. DM
20201104_202848.jpg

Back